hmlamberson

Chirping
Apr 20, 2016
One of my hens seems to have a full crop. It's hard-ish and seems to feel like one of those stress balls with the rice in it. It's been like this for a while and I've tried massaging it and also tilting her upside down but nothing comes up. I don't want to hurt my hen. She's NOT losing weight (actually looks fat most likely due to the big crop in front). She eats and drinks fine. I did notice that she pretty much poops liquid like 95% water (clear). I'm sure this could be due to long blades of grass but could it also be due to the fact I put sand in my coop run? They free range from time to time but are in the sandy area a lot. This is a washed utility/construction sand that is in the run. Any ideas what I should do? The hen seems fine but I don't like seeing the crop like that!

It is probably the long grass and not the sand. Hold her upside down and massage that crop. A couple times a day. She will either sick it up, or it will beak down and she'll digest it.

Hens are not as delicate as we think, check out some videos on massaging a crop and you'll get an idea of how hard you may need t go.

Have patience, if she's eating, drinking, and active then it is not critical (yet), but address it now before it is!

Oh wow, thanks so much for your quick reply! I'm reading horror stories on here and thinking great I'm going to lose her. She seems so fine eating and drinking, it's just her clear watery poop that has me wondering. I've been massaging her twice daily and tilting her forward but nothing comes out. I won't give up!

Back
Top Bottom