Craziest day I have ever had...

HenHappy

Songster
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
on my way to you....
What a day was yesterday!!! I was at work, a bookstore, when someone told me there was a fire out back. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and booted it to the back parking lot. Well, sure enough there was a fire in a dumpster going. I put it out as best I could, and then I see there is a man there, with a teenager cornered. He told me he saw the kid lighting the fire. I had no choice but to call police and the fire department. What he was doing was so dangerous. I have a huge store and there was at least 200 ppl shopping. I felt bad for him, as he was so upset and sorry, but I think I did not have a choice. My crazy day did not end there...
When I got home two of my chickens were missing from the coop and a hole was dug under the fence. I tell you, I was in tears, searching the woods, expecting the worst, when what did I see... Wilma and Betty, calmly scratching away down a path. The relief I felt is unimaginable! I put them back in and blocked the hole THEY had dug to get out, went inside and broke down. To much stress for one day!!
th.gif

I pray I never have to go through that again!!!

Last edited:
Oh Henhappy...you poor thing....my advice....get a bog old cup of coffee...tea..soda..and a comfy chair...place it right in the middle of the coop, with a radio playing. BEST Therapy there is. So sorry yuo had a terrible day...but glad it all turned out for the best!

YIKES!!!
ep.gif

That certainly was a harrowing day...
Glad that Wilma and Betty are safe...bet you wanted to wring their little necks for scaring you...then hug them til their eyes popped out of their sockets because they were safe after all.
Glad that the fire was found before it got out of control.
smack.gif
for the firebug.

Quote:
I was going to say a bottle of Scotch, but tea works, too...
gig.gif

HH- You did the right thing by calling the FD and police. Pyros start with trash can fires and move on to bigger and better things... And living in So Cal, I've been evacuated (with my horses and everything we could fit in our trailer) three times and it is not fun... especially when you know there is some crazy with matches running around.
I'm so glad you found your girls!! Here, they just think they are on a fun little field trip. Little do they know they almost gave you a heart attack!
th.gif

Happy Hen,

What a crappy day!

I also say you did the right thing. I know the kid was upset- hopefully the police and FD put enough of a scare into him that he NEVER does it again. It's tough love, but with luck it'll work. It would have been far worse just to wag your finger at him, tell him to behave himself, and walk off (at which point he would have been feeling mighty fine, and maybe burned down someone's house).

Naughty naughty chickens!! How long did they have to work to 'plan their escape'?
D.gif
glad to hear they were ok!!

My favorite feel-better is to make myself a HUGE mug of tea, make up some English Muffins with Grape Jelly, and have a good cry! Tomorrow will be a brand new, perfect day.

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

What a horrid day!
hugs.gif
Sending you hugs to help you feel better.
I agree with CarriBrown, when kids start with trash fires, their sickness grows as does the size and damage of the fires. You did the right and only thing to call the PD. Hopefully there will be help for the kid.
Put those two naughty girls in the corner and tell them ala soup nazi "NO TREATS FOR YOU!" :thun
A little scotch in your tea will go a long way to making you feel a bit better!
tea.gif

Quote:
Gives me a mental image of a couple of hens hard at work, digging their way out with spoons under the cover of night....
lau.gif

Ever see Chicken Run??!!

Here's a hug for you, HH
hugs.gif
Sounds like you could use one after that day! Hope you don't have another one like that for a while!

What a horrible day you had, it can only get better. Don't feel bad about the kid, you probally did him a favor and maybe this will be the last time he might try something like this. I glad you got your chickens back safely. You deserve a hug
4.gif

Thank you guys so much for all of you're sympathies!!! Hugs to all of you! Things are looking a little more calm now, I just get amazed at how things pile up so quickly. The kid was mentally handicapped and lived with foster parents, and I hope and pray that they will be able to get him the help he needs. The police told me that he has done this before. They let him off with a strong warning and called his foster father in to explain what happened. Man, that guy looked very angry.

As for my escape artists...I try to get mad at them...but they are just so darned CUTE!!!LOL!
I definately was thinking of "chicken run" after I got over being upset, cookinmom! I love the idea of having a tea...but I think I will lace it with that scotch, CarriBrown!!! Now I gotta plan about making thier run more secure!!! I never thought they would dig out themselves!

BRATS!!!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom