Covid-panic-induced chicken keeping?

Pics
We've seen this here, too. Tons of new chicken owners on our local Facebook chicken keeping page and our local supplier has been overrun with orders. This is our first batch as well, but years in the making waiting to find a new house with the room to give them a full happy life, just happened to coincide with the current situation. I am foreseeing a lot of pullets up for grabs in the coming months, BUT, at the same time, hoping these people will come through and become good chicken owners. Also hoping this might encourage more municipalities to review their current ordinances and allow responsible chicken keeping.
I too hope that people will be serious and ensure the birds safety and health. I clean the water source every day and I inspect the birds poop, and I watch for any change in behavior, and I pray for my birds safety. Truly is a blessing to have the opportunity to raise birds for whatever healthy reason people do so.

I
What ever the reason, "rescue" is a great way to expand your flock.
I am a bit ashamed to admit that, even after all these years, I have never rescued a bird :smack:oops: I know I’m terrible! I’m just so so so scared of illness. My ladies are pets - girls are never bound for the table here. They become close pets with names and I have always been too concerned with illness to bring in rescues. I must mention that I am also not well set up for quarantine (unless required my a bird I already own).

I am a bit ashamed to admit that, even after all these years, I have never rescued a bird :smack:oops: I know I’m terrible! I’m just so so so scared of illness. My ladies are pets - girls are never bound for the table here. They become close pets with names and I have always been too concerned with illness to bring in rescues. I must mention that I am also not well set up for quarantine (unless required my a bird I already own).

Nothing wrong with that - your concerns are valid. I've had someone in my neighborhood offer me their birds because they were moving, but I had to turn them down, because like you said, why risk it?

I'm in Nova Scotia, and this year has been CRAZY so far! Last year I was hatching medium-sized batches (20-30 eggs or so at a time) and having leftovers... This year, I bought a second incubator on a whim, and I can't keep up with demand! I am currently back-ordered well into June 😳

At least 95% of my buyers are brand-new to chickens, but so far all are set up for raising chicks and getting their coops built. The majority of these folks were already wanting chickens, but the current situation pushed them to start sooner rather than later. Also, the city was reviewing their chicken bylaws last year (now put on hold), and loads of city folk are basically saying, "who cares what they decide, we have a family to feed!" My boss is one of them, ha ha!!!

It's not just chickens, though - all of these people have also suddenly taken up gardening, too ☺

Will there be people who ultimately decide that chickens maybe aren't for them? Probably. But, as with everything else in life, you never know until you try ;) Overall, I think this (panic self-sufficiency) is a good thing, and we should do our best to help these folks get started on the right foot, with the right breeds (for their needs/environment).

Confession - we just got chicks for the first time. It wasn't panic induced, I wouldnt say, but this whole pandemic has made us (& many others) realize the value of having your own food sources available. Eggs (eventually) from chickens, vegetables grown in your own backyard, etc. There's a sense of pride/accomplishment in it too.
We have two young kids who's lives have been flipped upside down by everything and they have found alot of joy in caring for the chicks and I'm excited for the responsibility it gives them as both the chicks and the kids grow. We love animals and these chicks are definitely pets, they provide countless hours of entertainment and joy.
I do agree that some people panic bought them and will end up not wanting to put in the time as life eventually returns to normal, and they get busy again. But I'd like to think that alot of them are like us, who have realized the value in simple things like growing your own food, and learning to enjoy spending time at home, in your own backyard.

I confess the shutdown prompted me to get a few chicks on St. Patrick's Day. However, I have been considering it for several years. I would go to the farm show and ooh and ahh over the lovely (but too expensive) coops. Both of my daughters have kept good sized flocks for close to 10 years now and they have been advising me to jump into it, too. Huge learning experience, but so far, so good. These last few days are really challenging due to the extremely cold weather for this time of year. I thought I would have more time to acclimate and learn before dealing with WINTER!

Confession - we just got chicks for the first time. It wasn't panic induced, I wouldnt say, but this whole pandemic has made us (& many others) realize the value of having your own food sources available. Eggs (eventually) from chickens, vegetables grown in your own backyard, etc. There's a sense of pride/accomplishment in it too.
We have two young kids who's lives have been flipped upside down by everything and they have found alot of joy in caring for the chicks and I'm excited for the responsibility it gives them as both the chicks and the kids grow. We love animals and these chicks are definitely pets, they provide countless hours of entertainment and joy.
I do agree that some people panic bought them and will end up not wanting to put in the time as life eventually returns to normal, and they get busy again. But I'd like to think that alot of them are like us, who have realized the value in simple things like growing your own food, and learning to enjoy spending time at home, in your own backyard.
I'd like to think your reasons are behind ALL the new chicken caretakers. Teaching kids the responsibility that goes with keeping animals, using the chickens' (ahem) outputs to create a sustainable vegetable crop, and enjoying living more simply yet richly. Who knows what the next generation will face? Whatever it is, let's do our best to prepare them. Kudos to you for taking this on for all the right reasons!

I'm one of "those" people. I got chickens for two really good reasons: To keep me distracted instead of going insane all alone in an anticipated long quarantine, and to be wise like my grandparents who survived WWII in Berlin by raising rabbits on their balcony. I'm in the country, so free range chickens seemed a much better idea.
My only regret is that I ordered a few too many chicks. I thought some would die in transit or natural causes. On top of that, the hatchery sent me four extra. Almost two months later, they are all still alive and enjoying their days running and pooping everywhere and going crazy over spaghetti.
They keep me more occupied and entertained than I imagined and I also have a little food security, just in case. I've learned a lot. After the pandemic blows over, the chickens are welcomed to go wild with all the feed and water they want.

I am not sure if I am right, but I’ve begun to see an increase in the number of people buying chicks who are woefully unprepared to care for chickens in the long run. They seem to be worried about not having access to eggs or meat for a few weeks so they make a huge monetary investment and buy animals when they don’t actually want to take on the massive lifestyle change of chicken keeping.
This is a years-long investment and they’re doing it for a few weeks of worry? I worry for the level of care the animals are receiving based on the reason for their purchase.
I've see that also where I live. I was in tsc and there was a guy who was TOTALLY CLUELESSon what he needed but he bought 3 dozen chicks and a pre fab coop from tsc. The coop was MUCH too small for all those chicks🙄. It was very cold overnight temps and he, was going to build the coop and put the chicks in it that night with a 150 heat bulb. I seriously wonder if any of his chicks, survived in the cold at night in Michigan. He had no idea what to buy and he freely admitted he knew nothing but his wife wanted chickens, in case they needed food in the epidemic. I told him they wouldn't get eggs for a long time.... But he just gave me an oh well paid for his, stuff and out he, went.

I've see that also where I live. I was in tsc and there was a guy who was TOTALLY CLUELESSon what he needed but he bought 3 dozen chicks and a pre fab coop from tsc. The coop was MUCH too small for all those chicks🙄. It was very cold overnight temps and he, was going to build the coop and put the chicks in it that night with a 150 heat bulb. I seriously wonder if any of his chicks, survived in the cold at night in Michigan. He had no idea what to buy and he freely admitted he knew nothing but his wife wanted chickens, in case they needed food in the epidemic. I told him they wouldn't get eggs for a long time.... But he just gave me an oh well paid for his, stuff and out he, went.
Oh nooooo. Sooo many things wrong here. That must have been an awful position for you to be in.

Back
Top Bottom