Couple of questions for goat owners

Eggsoteric

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Maryland
Thinking of getting a few wethered goats (does would be okay too, however, I do know I do not want a buck). This would be my first venture into owning goats and I tend to do a bit of research before leaping head first into something but I wanted to gain some personal insight as well.

I'm leaning towards naturally polled breeds but not averse to considering horned breeds as well. In your experience, have you found one breed friendlier over another? Make better foragers? Is electrified poultry net fencing enough to keep goats contained to an area?

Thanks.

If you keep wethers don't feed grain as it can cause urinary stones and blockages. They can tolerate some when young and growing, but you need to be careful with adult goats.

I personally wouldn't use poultry netting with goats. They could get tangled up in it. Goats will stay in any area as long as they are happy. If they aren't than they can figure stuff out pretty quickly.

We personally used welded wire 3 or 4 feet high with a single strand of electric wire running around the inside perimeter to keep them from rubbing. We had to add one on the top of the welded wire due to one goat leaping the fence whenever he pleases. Cattle panels can work for those without horns, but don't use it with horned goats or you will be removing goats heads from it daily. You could line it with welded wire perhaps.

I've use wooden fences with great success. They do slowly eat the wood sometimes.

I personally like pygmy and Nigerian dwarf. Nubian and la mancha are easy going friendly breeds in the bigger goats. Alpine are another. My toggenburg, and sable saanan are a bit too rowdy for me.

I have polled Nigerian dwarf goats, I know that breed has polled in it's breeding. Otherwise a good vet or the goat breeder can do horn removal.

I personally prefer no horns these days, but kept horned goats for many years. The pygmy breeds were okay, their horns were nice handles for when you need to restrain them. The big breeds can be dangerous to you and each other with horns.

I only keep wethers these days. I don't miss the yelling of females in heat every fall. Breeding goats was fun for many years, but I no longer do that.

If you keep wethers don't feed grain as it can cause urinary stones and blockages. They can tolerate some when young and growing, but you need to be careful with adult goats.

I personally wouldn't use poultry netting with goats. They could get tangled up in it. Goats will stay in any area as long as they are happy. If they aren't than they can figure stuff out pretty quickly.

We personally used welded wire 3 or 4 feet high with a single strand of electric wire running around the inside perimeter to keep them from rubbing. We had to add one on the top of the welded wire due to one goat leaping the fence whenever he pleases. Cattle panels can work for those without horns, but don't use it with horned goats or you will be removing goats heads from it daily. You could line it with welded wire perhaps.

I've use wooden fences with great success. They do slowly eat the wood sometimes.

I personally like pygmy and Nigerian dwarf. Nubian and la mancha are easy going friendly breeds in the bigger goats. Alpine are another. My toggenburg, and sable saanan are a bit too rowdy for me.

I have polled Nigerian dwarf goats, I know that breed has polled in it's breeding. Otherwise a good vet or the goat breeder can do horn removal.

I personally prefer no horns these days, but kept horned goats for many years. The pygmy breeds were okay, their horns were nice handles for when you need to restrain them. The big breeds can be dangerous to you and each other with horns.

I only keep wethers these days. I don't miss the yelling of females in heat every fall. Breeding goats was fun for many years, but I no longer do that.
I agree with the fencing options goats are Escape artist and will try to get out of anything don't use electric poultry netting they will get tangled up actually goats will get out of any type of electric fence in my experience as for breeds it depends on what you want them for if you just want to have pets I would recommend pygmy goats NOT Nigerian dwarf goats because Nigerians are milk goats and have different needs then pygmy goats

There is no polled breed of goat but polled goats are found in all breeds. The polled gene is dominant and the horned gene is recessive. The problem with polled goats is, and it doesn't affect you if you are not breeding them, is that if you breed polled to polled you can come up with hermaphrodites. Not only are these goats sterile they are obnoxious. Really obnoxious. Far worse to handle than bucks. The hermaphrodites are genetically female.

Horns are nice to have when you want to persuade a goat to go somewhere. I cut off the sharp tips on mine; just don't take off too much or they will bleed.

Last edited:
I keep my Alpine and Alpine cross in electric netting. If properly fence trained, and if the fence is correctly charged, I see no reason why they would get stuck. My two have never had an issue, even with grain buckets on the other side of the fence (temporarily.) The only time they have gotten out was when the fence was broken and they couldn't hear it ticking any more. They are smart. So, keep it juiced.

I prefer dehorned or polled goats. I don't feel like getting stabbed, even by accident. They do make nice handles, though.

I keep my Alpine and Alpine cross in electric netting. If properly fence trained, and if the fence is correctly charged, I see no reason why they would get stuck. My two have never had an issue, even with grain buckets on the other side of the fence (temporarily.) The only time they have gotten out was when the fence was broken and they couldn't hear it ticking any more. They are smart. So, keep it juiced.

I prefer dehorned or polled goats. I don't feel like getting stabbed, even by accident. They do make nice handles, though.
you're so lucky lol
My goats used to get out of the fence all the time
My 2 mini horses know how to undo locks and chains
And my dog knows how to open doors

you're so lucky lol
My goats used to get out of the fence all the time
My 2 mini horses know how to undo locks and chains
And my dog knows how to open doors
Was your fence charged right? Set up properly, I know few animals that won't respect an electric fence. You've just gotta make them nearly see the pearly gates before they'll listen. :lol:

Was your fence charged right? Set up properly, I know few animals that won't respect an electric fence. You've just gotta make them nearly see the pearly gates before they'll listen. :lol:
yes the fence was changed right but we did not have netting we had a 4 strand electric fence but they would just jump over it :barnie

Back
Top Bottom