couldnt resist chook mania for to long!

laughingdog

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
Newport Tennessee
hello, im stephen in morristown TN. have had white leghorns, game birds, easter eggers, and austrolorps years ago since moving to east TN, but now trying to rear a rosecomb egg that i saved from being destroyed at auction. finally bought an incubator, as needed one for while now for the leghorn eggs and ddnt have or let hen go broody, and reptiles that keep trying to make babies. looking to meet other foul fanatics (originally was going to try to get button quail for aviary of exotic bird rescues), in my town, and even ashville NC. area im wanting to move to in future. also curious if anyone has or knows if one could cross a silkie with easter egger type, to get the black pigment of silkie skin etc. and excellent forager and more hardy, and egg color if not black but even easter egger eggs like EE? could this be bred true, as ive heard how healthy and a delicacy silkies are, but how fragile and had to keep clean an healthy, so would like black pigment traits etc or whatever it is im thinking of, like them, but feathers and less maintainance like EE were (note i havent ever had or seen hardly a silkie, so dont know anything of them first hand, except what told by those that had them, and might like just one for fun or to try to cross with EE whether i would need a cockrel or pullet of one i have no idea how to cross to get desired result.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

BYC is the ONLY chicken place you need. Ok, maybe I'm a little predjudice...

Look around, check out the new member pages, and enjoy.
This is where all the experts are...that is people that actually HAVE chickens and know what it is to LOVE them.

thanks for the welcome, and a lot of the sites are confusing, especially the breed references, as all say something different from each other, and one actually has two different things for same bird type for some reason. any idea on my question on breeding a silkie to easter egger, or vise versa, to get silkie supposed temperment and pigment and pigment but easter egger eggs and hardiness? as cannot seem to get hardly any search results to anything i type in the search box.

welcome-byc.gif
Im not very knowledgable on crossing breeds but I had some silkie/ black copper marans mixes and they did not retain the black skin. The guy I got them from showed me mom and dad and mom was a pretty gray or almost blue colored silkie and dad was a beautiful BCM. I dont know what color egg they lay as I sold them just before the girls started to lay.

Back
Top Bottom