Could a cat snatch a 4 week old chick without any evidence?

TheMonroeChicks

Chirping
Aug 28, 2017
SoCal
I am missing one of my 4 week old baby chicks. It is literally like she disappeared out of thin air. There is ZERO evidence of a scuffle, not even 1 feather on the ground around coop, or the rest of the yard, or even the neighborhood! We have scoured every shrub/tree/fence/etc.
Does this seem possible? We are in the city, and I have never seen a Hawk, which would've been my other predator guess.
Anyone have any ideas. Am totally devastated. The were out for @ 1/2 hour, in a small area, under trees.

TIA

They were not in their coop. I have an area fenced for them to be in the olive trees, but there are a couple exposed areas. It was mid day, and maybe only a half hour. I've left them out there to roam and forage much longer previously.

So many critters could have taken your chick; without evidence, there's no telling. Hawks are excellent daytime predators, and small unprotected chicks are easy targets. Also maybe a cat, fox, weasel, raccoon, or possum. The last two are much more likely at night. Skunks. Coyotes.
Her flockmates will be much wiser now too.
Keep your birds in their safe coop and (I hope!) safe run, for at least a week or two, and set up a live trap or two out there. A game camera would be very interesting also.
Good luck, Mary

When I have a broody hen raise chicks (and thus the little chicks forage all day with the adults) I probably lose 80% of my chicks. No clue what gets them but I never find a body. Rats, snakes, Hawks, fox, weasels, anything could be getting them.

I had a conversation with a co-worker once. She told me about an incident at her place, where she had let out some 7 week old chicks. Suddenly, out of no where some large ravens swooped down and carried off all but one chick!
And yes, a cat will take a 4 week old silently without any evidence left behind. Sometimes they eat even the feathers.
So heartbreaking....it's gone. :(

I'm so sorry!!

And yes a cat can get a chick.

The first time I realized how high my girls could fly, they were outside in an uncovered run & a neighborhood cat went after them. They were about 12 weeks old.
Heard all this squawking & ran out to find the cat trying to find a way in the fenced area & 2 of my girls had flown to the top of my 5 ft tall fence.
Scared me to death!

At 4 weeks, even a rat will kill them. Lots of creatures will attack them, even pullets, cockerels and adult chickens. So it's best to keep them safe till they have the size and weight to run away, fly away or defend themselves.

Perhaps a hardware cloth covered nursery pen, with a layer of chicken wire, buried around the outside perimeter (prevents digging in), if you will not be supervising, is something you can put together.

The young of any species are so vulnerable and helpless; birds of all kinds can surprise you. I have witnessed Scrub Jays stealing new born Sparrow chicks to feed their own! What panic and ruckus that caused...Until that day, I always thought of birds as sweet, beautiful little things. I still do, but, like most animals, they are survivors too - and will do what it takes to ensure the next generation makes it.

Yup, lots of hungry critters out there. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom