Coryza? What to do?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi everyone. We have show broilers, we’ve had them for 4 weeks now. I think some of them have contracted coryza. I’ve never dealt with this before so I don’t know what to do. Are my other chickens safe? They are on different sides of the yard and I usually tend to my layers then the broilers.

What should I do as far as treatment? Any recommendations? The show is in 2 weeks…

Thank y’all!

Photos?

Is there a bad odor?

It would be wise to get some testing to find out what you are dealing with.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

What is a "Show Broiler"?
Do you take birds to shows? If you do, then that's the pits.

Keep your flocks closed until you find out more, if you do have respiratory disease, then keeping a closed flock and no more showing would be the ethical thing to do.

Photos?

Is there a bad odor?

It would be wise to get some testing to find out what you are dealing with.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

What is a "Show Broiler"?
Do you take birds to shows? If you do, then that's the pits.

Keep your flocks closed until you find out more, if you do have respiratory disease, then keeping a closed flock and no more showing would be the ethical thing to do.
They are for 4h, they’re to be shown at our county fair. Yes, there is odor, the bird smelt like rotten milk in my opinion.

They are for 4h, they’re to be shown at our county fair. Yes, there is odor, the bird smelt like rotten milk in my opinion.
You must maintain a closed flock. It would be unethical to bring them to the county fair as they will easily spread the disease to other birds.
Treatment for Coryza is a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP in conjunction with an antibiotic such as Baytril or Tylan 50.
They will be carriers for life. When stressed in some manner, symptoms will appear.
It would be best to cull them and bury them deep far away from your "clean" birds.

Can you describe any other symptoms? Pictures may be helpful if there are symptoms with the eyes or the face. Testing by a state lab or through a vet or national lab such as Zoologix could provide you with answers in case there is not a disease. Until you get answers you should maintain a closed flock. Here is a link to read about testing for 8 diseases and how to contact them:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

I’ve got a few birds with the same thing just wondering what the ointment is called or what human eye ointment I can use on the poor darlings.
Oral antibiotics aren’t quite enough it seems..

I’ve got a few birds with the same thing just wondering what the ointment is called or what human eye ointment I can use on the poor darlings.
Oral antibiotics aren’t quite enough it seems..
An ointment may be helpful, but if the birds have pus in the eyes, the pus has to be pressed out and physically removed. Pus will not dry up on its own or go away with antibiotic treatment.
Terramycin is what is most commonly used here in the U.S.

An ointment may be helpful, but if the birds have pus in the eyes, the pus has to be pressed out and physically removed. Pus will not dry up on its own or go away with antibiotic treatment.
Terramycin is what is most commonly used here in the U.S.
No pus in the eye just very swollen

Back
Top Bottom