Corrugated plastic roofing for coop?

bluie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 18, 2007
Can anyone share opinions on the pros and cons of using this material for a coop roof? I was thinking about the clear, so that there is more light inside the coop. Does it hold up well? Can a predator tear it up? Is there such a thing as too much light?

Check out my Coop Deville post,I used the plastic stuff.

The opaque was kind of diificult compared to the clear because you couldn't see through it.You have to mark the holes and drill it before you can screw it down.

I like it for less weight and lettin in some sunlight in.I only used one piece of clear because I already bought the other stuff(opaque) and wanted to get it down.

It is a little pricey tho,but it should last a while.Hopefully.

I don't know about predators yet,it's their first night out there...Whoo hooo!!!
big_smile.png

Hi I am not sure where you live but I would also consider your climate. I am a vendor for local HomeDepot stores in my area and at one of my stores they have install this corrugated plactic as a wall between the shrub yard and the patio furniture area. Today was 90 where I live and the glass inclosed green house was much, much cooler than this small open area with this plastic! :eek: I was thinking about using this before seeing the tempature increase it had caused. Summers at 95-100 (Don't think I can use this)
sad.png

It will be under pretty dense shade of a big old linden tree in the summer, and our average summer high temps are in the 80's. I hope it will be all right. I like the tip about it being see thru so you can see where to nail! Thanks everyone!

The corrugated roofing made by PalRUF can be purchased in cleqar and opaque colored panels. We just finished a roof over our run with it- excellent and easy to use, the special screws seal out the rain nicely. You can see it ihere, scroll to the bottom. Consider using hurricane hangers and other joist support to stabilize your roof, as the panels are very light.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-LynneP's_Run

The same company also sells plastic 'furring strips' for support and for the edges so that predators can be excluded.

If your coop is smallish and you use the opaque panels you should be able to insulate under it, too. I wouldn't use transparent panels for the roof because of overheating.

cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom