copper sulfate safe in drinkers?

LegoVasavouchi

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
Oklahoma
My apologies if this isn't the right place to post this question, but one of my chickens has canker and while I'm following through medicating her, I'm also adding acidified copper sulfate to the drinkers for the rest of the flock to help keep things in check (1/4 tsp per gallon). However, I also have a duck and two outdoor cats who use these drinkers - is it safe for them to drink as well?

Does anyone know if its safe for ducks and cats? I just don't want to be medicating some of my pets while accidentally poisoning the others.

I don't know specifically about cats or ducks, but it is a toxic product, depending on dosage, for many critters. Fish, some dogs, and people, for example. There are toxic doses for both copper and sulfates listed, and i couldn't find a reference recommending using copper sulfate in drinking water.
Doesn't sound best to me.
Mary

I found the reference for using it in poultry. Normal feeds have copper added to nutritionally good levels, which may not be true for some home made diets without correct added vitamin/ mineral mix.
Treating the drinking water seems like a great way to decrease water consumption in an already sick flock. Rinsing waterers and having fresh water seems like a better choice to me.
Mary

Actually, using Copper Sulfate is very common. Farmers add it all the time to keep water clean, Copper Sulfate is excellent at keeping water free of bacteria and algae etc.

I assume OP has a large watering system with parts that can't be totally cleaned. Large tank and thin piping maybe? If you follow the correct dosage I have never heard of it being a problem. I always use Copper Fittings in my water builds for all my animals, cat, dog, chickens, goats just for this purpose, to stretch out the times between cleanings or to stop super gross things from growing.

Edit: ooooo just researched it. I had no idea Copper Sulfate was also used to stop the spread of canker, through water atleast. Interesting but makes sense. Still, if you are doing the correct amount I don't see why it would be bad. Lets be honest, if the water isn't to the cats liking he will stop drinking pretty quickly. Most my cats won't drink water that has even sat out for longer than a day :/, cats.

Last edited:
Birds have a much higher tolerance for copper in their system than mammals. Copper is a heavy metal that will accumulate and be stored in the liver. I would not recommend it’s chronic use. It can also be absorbed thru the skin of people handling it. I advise caution and only short term use.

Back
Top Bottom