coop looks like a 2 year old egg hunt! LOL

momoftwinsinwi

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2007
Rochester, WI
29 hens, about 5 1/2 months old, getting about 16 eggs a day, only about 8 of them are on the coop floor!! Looks like a 2 year old egg hunt LOL.....8 nests and they lay in 2 but 1/2 of the eggs are layed on the coop floor.....yes there is straw about 4" thick, but that's not the nests girls!!! Going to try to put golf balls back in the other nests....whatcha all think?

29 hens, about 5 1/2 months old, getting about 16 eggs a day, only about 8 of them are on the coop floor!! Looks like a 2 year old egg hunt LOL.....8 nests and they lay in 2 but 1/2 of the eggs are layed on the coop floor.....yes there is straw about 4" thick, but that's not the nests girls!!! Going to try to put golf balls back in the other nests....whatcha all think?
Golf balls are a good idea ... and call your favorite two-year-old for a visit!

I have 6 nesting boxes and all my 4 hens lay in one and if that one is taken they lay in the floor. Very annoying. Might grab some golf balls too although it might be too late now they have all picked the same box.

Another thought - if they're laying in the same spot on the ground, put a nesting box there. Once hey're used to laying in the box, you can move it - just a little bit at a time (maybe 6 inches a day, moving it back a step if they stop laying in it) to the place you want them to lay. It takes time, but it worked for one of my goofy girls.

I had a speckled Sussex that kept finding odd places to lay. She was smaller than most of the others, so I thought she was just trying to claim her own space. They keep you on your toes, don't they?
When I was a kid, our favorite little banty would somehow sneak into the house - at least two-to-three times a week - and lay her egg in between my parents' pillows. Talk about delivering Breakfast in Bed!

Back
Top Bottom