Coop Build comes crashing to a halt

okieinalaska

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I bought the plans for the City Biddy coop off ebay. Over the past couple of weeks I have been buying the lumber, hardware etc. I bought the sheets of siding in two trips because I had them cut each piece for me to size. This helped it fit in the truck to get it home and I didn't hog all the home depot guys time all at once, LOL. Plus it cut down on the number of cuts I had to make myself, those long cuts are a pain.

Well the last trip a younger guy at home depot helped me and made all my cuts. I was looking over his shoulder and at least once I had him remeasure because he had marked incorrectly but all seemed fine.

Today I finally started the build. I got the base made. Went to cut the slope on the two sides and realized one side is slightly short of 3' wide. Ugh!! My sides don't match up. My base is already made so I can't make the base smaller to fit. It's off by about 1/2". I dont' think I can fudge it without having a big gap.

I think I am going to have to pay for a new piece of siding!

Also after building the base I also realize how tiny this coop is! The base is 3x3.
I am going to have to build a bigger coop and I haven't even finished this one, LOL.

But I can use this one for my silkies from Tori or sell it on Craigslist to pay for the new tools I bought. I bought the Rigid cordless circular saw and impact driver and they are wonderful. The batteries last a long time too. And come with a lifetime guarantee, even the batteries!

I am going to have to build a bigger coop and I haven't even finished this one, LOL.

We have all had that realization while building our first coops.​

Smaller coops come in very hand for Jr chicks if you keep buying those cute fuzzy ones at the feed store or graduate to incubating and hatching.

Quote:
We have all had that realization while building our first coops.

Uh, yep, I sure have.
hide.gif
I've only been at it a month and have too many chicks for our 8x10 coop that isn't even done! At least most of the chicks are straight run so half(ish) will be gone before the fall and they'll be free range before then. Glad to know I'm not the only one though. I've had to ban myself from the poultry swaps and local classifieds.

Sorry to hear about the cuts though. How frustrating!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom