Coop at night?

Aug 3, 2022
Hello!

I have six 7 week old chicks that recently moved into their coop and run. They haven't learned to go into the coop at dusk yet. I've been collecting them and putting them in the coop every night. If I don't they all cry and stand in the corner of the run when it gets dark out. I got a tip from a friend that if you lock them in their coop for a week or so and then let them out they will naturally go into their coop at night. My only issue with this is the heat, it's been around 90 everyday. Our self made coop is very well ventilated but I think it's too hot to do that right now.

I don't have too big of an issue with shuffling them in every night, but when we decide we would like to take a weekend vacation, I don't want a neighbor or friend to have to do that every night.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get them to go in at dusk on their own?
Thank you so much!!!

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that they will figure out but it takes time. I definitely know that locking mine in for the majority of the day for about a week or so helped. But understandable not doing so because of the heat. Could you put a fan on them even if it was just for a couple days for a large portion of the day? Or put something over them that would give the coop better shade like a collapsible awning? Make sure to have plenty of water in the coop for them and food. We just chatted about this very same thing on another thread. Your crew is still young and it may take a bit for them to figure it out. But I promise they will. Just maybe not in time for your weekend vacation sadly. :idunno

can you lock them in but replace the pop door with a temporary wire screen?
That is what I did to train mine. I used a dog crate side panel, locked them in 3 days, then opened them to the run. For a couple of days I had to lure them in with treats (mash).

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that they will figure out but it takes time. I definitely know that locking mine in for the majority of the day for about a week or so helped. But understandable not doing so because of the heat. Could you put a fan on them even if it was just for a couple days for a large portion of the day? Or put something over them that would give the coop better shade like a collapsible awning? Make sure to have plenty of water in the coop for them and food. We just chatted about this very same thing on another thread. Your crew is still young and it may take a bit for them to figure it out. But I promise they will. Just maybe not in time for your weekend vacation sadly. :idunno
I could probably do a fan somehow the coop is near the garage window. We do have a shade cover over the coop and run but it's still going to be upper 80s-90s the next week or so. My chickens get hot and start painting very easily.

Do you think I could lock them up in the coop after the heat breaks? Would that mess them up at all if I started it after they have been in the coop and run for a couple weeks?

I could probably do a fan somehow the coop is near the garage window. We do have a shade cover over the coop and run but it's still going to be upper 80s-90s the next week or so. My chickens get hot and start painting very easily.

Do you think I could lock them up in the coop after the heat breaks? Would that mess them up at all if I started it after they have been in the coop and run for a couple weeks?
Like the other poster said....do you have a door that you can leave open and put mesh over to increase the ventilation? ( My coop has a huge door on the one side but when I open it there is a removable screen so I can leave it open during the day for extra ventilation.) I don't see why you couldn't try to hold off until the heat breaks. Or they might just figure it out by then. You could try luring them in with treats too. But personally that was successful for me only because I was doing it at night and the lure wasn't as appealing on a full stomach....lol

can you lock them in but replace the pop door with a temporary wire screen?
That is what I did to train mine. I used a dog crate side panel, locked them in 3 days, then opened them to the run. For a couple of days I had to lure them in with treats (mash).
I put a light in the coop and it seemed to peak their interest. I will try some treats tomorrow night with the light on.

Like the other poster said....do you have a door that you can leave open and put mesh over to increase the ventilation? ( My coop has a huge door on the one side but when I open it there is a removable screen so I can leave it open during the day for extra ventilation.) I don't see why you couldn't try to hold off until the heat breaks. Or they might just figure it out by then. You could try luring them in with treats too. But personally that was successful for me only because I was doing it at night and the lure wasn't as appealing on a full stomach....lol
I don't really have a door we could put mesh in. I suppose I could get my fiancee to fix something up. He's pretty handy. He built the whole coop himself!! But the space between the roof and walls is all mesh all away around the coop.

I struggled with this too! I had 20 babies that I had to pick up and put inside every night. I did that for maybe 2 weeks. The last few days I was sick of doing it so I basically shooed a few in, made them walk in instead of picking them up... Once a few went in on their own, the rest followed suit.
I had a nightlight that turned on at dusk. I only fed them inside the coop.
I never locked them in the coop for an extended period of time like is suggested. They will figure it out, just takes time. Good luck!

Bribing also works. I had to catch mine in the beginning and then eventually, with the help of Grub Terra they made their way up the ramp into the coop. I also add a little Grub Terra in their food inside. This way they know they'll get a treat when they go inside. It only took about a week. Now they all go in on their own every night. I wouldn't lock them in for a week, especially in this heat. It's been smoldering by me the last two weeks. My husband installed a fan about 3 weeks ago and it's brilliant. Not only does it cool the coop, but it also airs it out during the day.

Fan in Coop .jpg

Back
Top Bottom