Coop advice wanted - DFW - prefab vs www.urbannorthern.com

Celticdragonfly

Crowing
May 17, 2018
Saginaw, TX
So we are about to get our first 3 chicks. Our area just went legal for backyard chickens a couple years ago - up to 3 hens, no roosters. We're prepping our brooder box and have ordered the chicks we want.

And I'm looking at coops. I spent a long time coveting an Eglu, but they're pricey, and I started to see complaints about them here.

I do not have the ability nor the spoons (I am semi-handicapped, and my daughter's still in high school) to build my own coop. I want to have a coop with an attached run, so that my daughter can let the girls out into the run while she's at school, and just have some free-range time when she's home and can be out with them.

Been looking at prefabs at Russel Supply, Atwoods, and Home Depot. When I get to look inside, it looks like the "roosts" are just above the drawer that slides out for cleaning. But I've read here that they should be higher than the nesting boxes to keep them from roosting and pooping there.

As I started reading through posts here, I saw a lot of "don't buy prefab, if you can't build your own look at your local craigslist. Which is not a thing I've ever dealt with before but I went to look.

The listings that looked possible came down to two websites.

One is https://www.urbannorthern.com/collections/coops

What do y'all think of the
https://www.urbannorthern.com/collections/coops/products/the-kona-coop ?
That's more than I was going to spend on a prefab, but I could maybe manage it.
It still looks to me in theirs like the roosts aren't any higher than the nesting boxes.

Also there's
https://lccotp.wixsite.com/coops
Their Coop and Run in one looks like what I need - but starting at $1000, ow. Those guys are only about 15 miles from me, though, whereas the other guys are up north.

Please share your opinions with me. Thanks!

The Kona in the first link looks kinda small, and not nearly enough ventilation ... to open/close the door from the coop to the ramp/run area you need to crawl inside ... or ... just leave it open ... since you mentioned your handicapped I think it maybe a bit much to do everyday ... while you do have a teenage daughter ... how long is she going to be around? Chickens can live quite awhile.

The other coop from WA state is not available at this time ...

Both coops from WA require "some assembly" are you up to this?

They use a weird 3/8' sized hardware cloth (guess it is a typo should be 3/8")... normal in USA is either 1/4" or 1/2", and it is only 23 gauge, which is thin wire!

In my opinion ... the local place coop and run combo is probably the best solution for you ... tall easy access, and they can deliver/set up for you ... just add chickens! And open your wallet! ;)

No such thing as free eggs, unless you steal them from the wild birds!

So we are about to get our first 3 chicks. Our area just went legal for backyard chickens a couple years ago - up to 3 hens, no roosters. We're prepping our brooder box and have ordered the chicks we want.

And I'm looking at coops. I spent a long time coveting an Eglu, but they're pricey, and I started to see complaints about them here.

I do not have the ability nor the spoons (I am semi-handicapped, and my daughter's still in high school) to build my own coop. I want to have a coop with an attached run, so that my daughter can let the girls out into the run while she's at school, and just have some free-range time when she's home and can be out with them.

Been looking at prefabs at Russel Supply, Atwoods, and Home Depot. When I get to look inside, it looks like the "roosts" are just above the drawer that slides out for cleaning. But I've read here that they should be higher than the nesting boxes to keep them from roosting and pooping there.

As I started reading through posts here, I saw a lot of "don't buy prefab, if you can't build your own look at your local craigslist. Which is not a thing I've ever dealt with before but I went to look.

It still looks to me in theirs like the roosts aren't any higher than the nesting boxes.

Also there's
Their Coop and Run in one looks like what I need - but starting at $1000, ow. Those guys are only about 15 miles from me, though, whereas the other guys are up north.

I have a pre-fab from TSC. It made it through a Maine winter and that says a lot.

Also there's

How wonderful your area has opened up to having chickens! Knowing you are limited to 3 means you won't be able to give in to chicken math ...maybe:oops:
It also helps define what you need for your little flock. Keeping in mind that bigger is better there are minimal dimensions needed for each bird. Coop needs are different from run needs.
Starting with the coop, the nesting area is not to be included in this measurement. Coop floor area needs to be only for indoor walking and roosting. Each bird needs 4sqft so you need a coop 12sqft. A 3X4 henhouse would be the smallest you need. If it is a short coop you should have the nesting area hanging on the outside, like in those pictures. If it is a taller type you could hang them inside about 18 inches or so above the floor so they can walk underneath. A roost needs to be higher than the nests. When roosting their heads need to be lower than the ventilation to prevent direct breezes.
The Kona looks to be about 2X3 which is 6sqft, room for 1.5 birds. The Lodge is 2X2 or 4sqft, enough for 1 whole bird. Both coops do not have ventilation but they both do have huge open drafts.
About the run. Each bird needs 10sqft so you need 30sqft. That would be about 3X10. If your coop is raised up at least 18 inches the area underneath your 3X4 coop can be included so you only need an additional 18sqft or 3X6.
Actually I would want the run wider than 3ft to prevent critters with long skinny arms reaching the birds. For that I'd make the coop 4ft wide, 3ft deep rather than 3ft wide, 4ft deep. Then the additional 18sqft run could be 4ft wide X 4.5ft long.
If your coop is going to sit on the ground you need to make the entire run 30sqft. To make it 4ft wide the length should be 7.5ft.
There! You have measurements all worked out for you! Yes, I understand you probably aren't up to building on your own. But considering what you are planning to spend you could probably hire someone. Look around this site for information on ventilation, roosts, nests, and predator protection to incorporate in the build.
If you went with the second, and pricey, company their "Coop and Run in one" is very well made and might be worth it to you. The 4X8 unit is perfect as long as the coop part is 4X4 which I believe it is.
You will never regret doing this right the first time. I did it wrong and it's been a struggle to make it right. Done correctly you can have years of use and be able to enjoy your feathered babies instead of fussing to keep them happy and healthy.
Please keep us updated and boy oh boy do we love pictures of coops and birds!!
WELCOME TO BYC!!:frow :welcome
:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy.

Last edited:
The first two are simply too small and will likely require some alterations and additions to make them work.

The $1000 option actually doesn't look too bad. It's a walk-in run at least, and the construction looks fairly solid. Pricewise it's not a bad deal when you consider the size, materials and the fact that they can do some customization.

but starting at $1000, ow. Those guys are only about 15 miles from me, though, whereas the other guys are up north.
Not unreasonable.......materials are expensive, labor to have someone else build it can double or triple the cost. They do look solid.

Odd that they call them 'A-frames'.....they are not A-frame but have gable roofs.
Also odd that a chicken coop company in TX doesn't use more ventilation <scratcheshead>

Keeping in mind that bigger is better there are minimal dimensions needed for each bird. Coop needs are different from run needs
If your coop is going to sit on the ground you need to make the entire run 30sqft. To make it 4ft wide the length should be 7.5ft.
If you went with the second, and pricey, company their "Coop and Run in one" is very well made and might be worth it to you. The 4X8 unit is perfect as long as the coop part is 4X4 which I believe it is.
You will never regret doing this right the first time. I did it wrong and it's been a struggle to make it right. Done correctly you can have years of use and be able to enjoy your feathered babies instead of fussing to keep them happy and healthy.

Y'all in general - and Cryss specifically - have convinced me. I'm going to go with a coop from Little Coop on the Prairie. We're going up to see them this Saturday, as they have a coop they're building that they can show us stuff on, and hopefully that will help us figure out what options to ask for. I'm gonna spend a lot more on this than I had planned ... but it'll be done right.

So - here in Texas, there are bills in the House and Senate that may end up overruling our city limits and push the limit up to 6 hens instead of 3. If I want to keep that in mind, that we might up our flock to 6 once that (hopefully!) goes through - what size would you recommend? Because I'm thinking that might make me want bigger than the 4x8.

You’ll want lots & lots of ventilation in Texas! Maybe even a 3-sided type with the 4th side open. Because your flock will spend most of their time outside, 4x8 should provide adequate coop space for 6, but make sure you have plenty of covered run to allow protection from the sun & rain.

Back
Top Bottom