Converting (and treating?) 60+ year old poultry run for flock of ducks

graypes

Songster
Jun 19, 2020
Long time no see backyard family!

I have had 5 ducks for three years. for the last year I have been at grad school and the ducks have been under the care of a relative. I built a fort knox duck coop out at my relatives, but her adjacent chicken coop kept getting broken into by a mink, so she is tearing up and rebuilding and therefore i have had to move them. Our family friend kindly stepped up to the plate. his kids are VERY excited as am i for this arrangement. they have an old pheasant and chicken run which had been used for at least 60 years and they just stopped keeping pheasants in it this year. I am going to place their coop inside this run but should i be treating, disinfecting the ground or anything? the pheasant were given antibiotics etc and the people who are taking them are life long poultry keepers and can treat the ducks if they get sick, but what do i need to do to bioremediate this run for ducks?

I am going to place their coop inside this run but should i be treating, disinfecting the ground or anything?
Why were the pheasant given antibiotics?
How long has it been since they've been gone?
It's pretty near impossible to 'disinfect' the ground.
Some pics of the ground might help here.
Is there good drainage?
Ducks are wet messy so that extra moisture could help feed any organisms present.

Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1684153923562.png

Why were the pheasant given antibiotics?
How long has it been since they've been gone?
It's pretty near impossible to 'disinfect' the ground.
Some pics of the ground might help here.
Is there good drainage?
Ducks are wet messy so that extra moisture could help feed any organisms present.

Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3506034
eastern mo, pics to follow, we are doing drainage rn
would spraying vinegar and water do anything?

we’ve cleared the top 8” of soil with our tractor but now replacing that soil and adding drainage will be a challenge

Back
Top Bottom