Consolidated Kansas

My suburb (Olathe) finally allows backyard chickens! After years of dreaming and trying to convince my husband we needed to move so I could have chickens (narrator: we didn't move), I can actually have chickens. My application is in and I have the supplies for my coop, run, and hentertainment ordered. I'm thrilled, truly. Like so excited I'm surprised I haven't physically exploded.

My son wants to hatch eggs, but I don't want to deal with a brooder in my basement, so I'm thinking of trying to get a small flock of 3-5 laying hens to start, and then if/when one goes broody, slip a few fertile eggs under her so she does all the work.

If this is doable, what's the best way of buying/getting young hens? Facebook group? I'd like to end up with a rainbow egg spread because it looks cool, something like: easter eggers, olive eggers or speckled eggers, and marans, then a barred rock, golden comet, and a white egg layer of some breed to round out my colors.

My suburb (Olathe) finally allows backyard chickens! After years of dreaming and trying to convince my husband we needed to move so I could have chickens (narrator: we didn't move), I can actually have chickens. My application is in and I have the supplies for my coop, run, and hentertainment ordered. I'm thrilled, truly. Like so excited I'm surprised I haven't physically exploded.

My son wants to hatch eggs, but I don't want to deal with a brooder in my basement, so I'm thinking of trying to get a small flock of 3-5 laying hens to start, and then if/when one goes broody, slip a few fertile eggs under her so she does all the work.

If this is doable, what's the best way of buying/getting young hens? Facebook group? I'd like to end up with a rainbow egg spread because it looks cool, something like: easter eggers, olive eggers or speckled eggers, and marans, then a barred rock, golden comet, and a white egg layer of some breed to round out my colors.
I always look at my local craigslist, I you're interested I have some 7 week old barnyard mix chickens for sale.

I also have some pullets about 10 wks: Easter egger mixed with Welsummer. May have a few more, but they are only four weeks so hard to tell for certain who is going to be a pullet. The younger batch came from Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red mixed with Welsummer. You may end up with a good mix of egg colors… or they could all be tan. Let me know if you are interested.

I just posted a EE Roo for free on here....but I don't know how to share the link to that post here....Just search for Hank needs a home in Kansas. He is only a few months old and needing a home as I don't want or need a Roo since I do not raise chicks. I got him in February....so he is what 4/5 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_141403665_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220608_141403665_HDR.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 1
I just posted a EE Roo for free on here....but I don't know how to share the link to that post here....Just search for Hank needs a home in Kansas. He is only a few months old and needing a home as I don't want or need a Roo since I do not raise chicks. I got him in February....so he is what 4/5 months old.
We share names!!!

hi,
I have six 9 week old barnyard mix chicks for sale! I hatched them back in April and they absolutely love people!
Their father is a bielefelder and their Moms are Rhode Island red and Olive egger. PM me if interested so I can send you pics and talk about the cost and what I'll trade! P.S I'm sorry I don't know hens from roos.

I ended up driving down and getting 6 chicks from Cackle on Tuesday. I just lost one, a Cuckoo Marans we named Storm. She seemed fine this morning, scratching feed and running around, but when I got home and checked on her tonight a little over an hour ago, she was listless and could barely open her eyes. Saw some dried poop on her vent and cleaned it off, but it was too late and she died in my hands a few minutes ago. I'm crushed.

Back
Top Bottom