Connecting coop and run?

MamaJ1977

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 20, 2018
Rural Petaluma, CA
Hi there!

We’ve just had our chicks a month and a half, and finally got a coop. Thus far we’ve been bringing them inside from the run at night and back out in the morning. Any ideas on how to somehow connect the coop and run, other than pushing the coop against the run? The run is 16 feet long, 5 feet wide and pretty much stuck where it is. The coop is around 8 feet. It’s cute, so that would kind of be a bummer. The little ramp lifts up and down and is the front door of the coop.

I guess my other question is do I need to connect the two, or would it be a pain trying to direct them from the run to the coop and back again every day?

I’m still really in the I-have-no-idea-what-I’m-doing phase, clearly. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 0990CE43-4173-42D4-9291-33480C4AA8F0.jpeg
    0990CE43-4173-42D4-9291-33480C4AA8F0.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 146
Yes you should connect then do the chickens can go back and forth as needed. Once they start laying then need direct access to the nests.

Ideas:
Can the coop be moved to that far back corner of the run being the plants? Yes hoy would lose some of the look but not near as much. And you would open up the main yard more.

Or can you put a pop door on that back side? Slide the coop to the run in an L shape and use the front door for days you want to let them in the yard and side door four days in the run. Or just make the front foor a fancy mock door.

Oh an another idea if you want...

Since the coop is slightly raised I would fence off the lower portion and open that to the run also so they have another place to hide, play and get out of the weather.

Back
Top Bottom