CrazyChick2

Hatching
Jun 20, 2020
I have never had bantam Cochins before and have no idea I’d these little ones are crockrels or pullets. They are about 6 weeks old. They all have little waddles. Did I just get unlucky and get 3 boys?

Attachments

• 9E61635E-498F-4B84-BFF5-86BD366096F7.jpeg
    9E61635E-498F-4B84-BFF5-86BD366096F7.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 33
  • C20E5967-C951-4E3E-B579-189D9844FB79.jpeg
    C20E5967-C951-4E3E-B579-189D9844FB79.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 30
  • C60AA68B-1839-45B1-A9B7-5CCF01A26BC0.jpeg
    C60AA68B-1839-45B1-A9B7-5CCF01A26BC0.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 28
  • A6ACBD36-57D2-4DC6-B1E4-E903C8195207.jpeg
    A6ACBD36-57D2-4DC6-B1E4-E903C8195207.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 27
  • E7D6E311-0A7C-432A-869B-DEB37F05C413.jpeg
    E7D6E311-0A7C-432A-869B-DEB37F05C413.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 26
Sorry, you got unlucky-3 boys. Sexing bantams is the same as the larger breeds.
Also never had full sized Cochins before. 🙃I have leghorns and their combs are giant, even on the ladies, so I was hopeful it was a breed thing. 🤷‍♀️ Oh well, big bummer. I hope I can find someone to take them. ☹️ That is the last time I get from the assorted bantam box!

They are so cute!

Bantam Cochin males are really friendly and tend to crow less than other breeds. You might need to rehome one or two, but one or two might be keepers, if you can at all keep a rooster that is much quieter than other roosters. Bantam Cochins are really nice and less-inclined to fight than, say, barnyard mix or Barred Rock or whatever, cockerels.

I don’t know if you are thinking about raising your own chicks in the future, but one or two Bantam Cochin males are a good way to start.

They are so cute!

Bantam Cochin males are really friendly and tend to crow less than other breeds. You might need to rehome one or two, but one or two might be keepers, if you can at all keep a rooster that is much quieter than other roosters. Bantam Cochins are really nice and less-inclined to fight than, say, barnyard mix or Barred Rock or whatever, cockerels.

I don’t know if you are thinking about raising your own chicks in the future, but one or two Bantam Cochin males are a good way to start.
I already have a male buff Orpington :( I don’t think he’d appreciate the competition and they would be so much smaller. I got these babies and some leghorns to give my broody girl when her eggs didn’t make it. (Both of our first time trying to hatch babies) She only liked the leghorns and rejected the these little guys. :( So I ended up as mamma. All the leghorns seem to be girls, but of course all these, my favorites, are boys. *sigh*

Oh No....

How big is your property? What are you looking for? Friendly chickens? Pets? Eggs to sell at a farmers’ market? Meat?

The breed you choose depends on your goals and the size of your land.

Leghorns need a lot of room, despite being small chickens. If you are looking to really produce eggs probably for sale, yes, go with the Orpington rooster over the Leghorns. Farmers Market?

If you have a small property and would prefer pets and nice chickens that occasionally lay an egg or two, I would go with the Cochins and maybe keep the Orpington, as well.

Leghorns and Cochins are at the opposite ends of the dual-purpose spectrum. Nowadays, Cochins make great pet chickens, as opposed to flighty Leghorns.

Yes. Keep the Orpington rooster no matter which way you go. He is kind of like a center in temperament between Leghorns and Cochins.

What is your housing situation? Do you have a way to keep Leghorn hens from roosting in trees and laying their eggs who-knows-where?

With the Cochins, I doubt the progeny x Orpington are going to go far. They should stay in the run.

Last edited:
Oh No....

How big is your property? What are you looking for? Friendly chickens? Pets? Eggs to sell at a farmers’ market? Meat?

The breed you choose depends on your goals and the size of your land.

Leghorns need a lot of room, despite being small chickens. If you are looking to really produce eggs probably for sale, yes, go with the Orpington rooster over the Leghorns. Farmers Market?

If you have a small property and would prefer pets and nice chickens that occasionally lay an egg or two, I would go with the Cochins and maybe keep the Orpington, as well.

Leghorns and Cochins are at the opposite ends of the dual-purpose spectrum. Nowadays, Cochins make great pet chickens, as opposed to flighty Leghorns.

Yes. Keep the Orpington rooster no matter which way you go. He is kind of like a center in temperament between Leghorns and Cochins.

What is your housing situation? Do you have a way to keep Leghorn hens from roosting in trees and laying their eggs who-knows-where?

With the Cochins, I doubt the progeny x Orpington are going to go far. They should stay in the run.
I have my birds in a 25x50 ft run with two coops (old small one and new big one) and I let them free range on about 4 acres a few days a week - I will be letting them free range more now with the addition of my leghorns (total flock is 10 orpingtons, + five leghorn pullets and these bantam Roos pictured).

My goal is to have a breeding group of orpingtons to produce more egg layers, probably try to sell some excess pullets, and eat the Roos (haven’t actually successfully done this yet. Hoping I can bring myself to do it). Part of my logic with the leghorns was that they have white eggs, so I can avoid barnyard mixes and add a different color to my egg basket. Also I know that they are great free rangers and my orpingtons are a little oblivious. I hope that leghorns in the flock might decrease losses to predators.

Getting the bantams was just a weak moment at the feed store because they are so darn cute.

(At some point down the road I would also like a breeding group of Ameraucana, but that will be awhile.)

And I have no idea how to keep my leghorns out of trees.

Back
Top Bottom