Cochin bantam had random seizures

Tiffy316

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2019
I have an underweight co hin bantam that I had separated from most of my flock a few weeks ago so she could gain back some of her weight. Apart from being skinny, she seemed fine until today. She had a few seizures in a row for some unknown reason. She was a little off balance after they ended, but she quickly recovered and seems totally fine now. What could've caused this, and how can I help her?

Age?
Is she eating?
What are you feeding her?
Your location?
She's almost 2 years old. She's eating, but didn't seem hungry after her seizures. I've been feeding her layer crumbles and scratch grains. I live in Kansas.

I would suggest getting some Poultry Cell into her daily for at least a week. Vitamin deficiency (especially vit B/thiamine) can cause neurological symptoms, including wry neck, loss of balance, and possibly seizures. I’d direct drench 1/2 cc into her beak daily. Or if she likes oatmeal, mix into a spoonful of oatmeal for her to eat…or pieces of porous bread. However you want to get it into her (some are paranoid about direct drenching, but it’s easy if you go slow and follow with a treat such as raisins or whatever she really likes. It’s available at TSC and most farm stores.

Thank you. Has she been laying? If so,when was the last time you got an egg? Was the shell quality good?

Has she had any recent exposure to severe cold? Maybe an extreme temperature fluctuation from warm to cold?

I would suggest getting some Poultry Cell into her daily for at least a week. Vitamin deficiency (especially vit B/thiamine) can cause neurological symptoms, including wry neck, loss of balance, and possibly seizures. I’d direct drench 1/2 cc into her beak daily. Or if she likes oatmeal, mix into a spoonful of oatmeal for her to eat…or pieces of porous bread. However you want to get it into her (some are paranoid about direct drenching, but it’s easy if you go slow and follow with a treat such as raisins or whatever she really likes. It’s available at TSC and most farm stores.
I'll try that, thanks. Hopefully, it'll help her gain back some of her weight too.

Thank you. Has she been laying? If so,when was the last time you got an egg? Was the shell quality good?

Has she had any recent exposure to severe cold? Maybe an extreme temperature fluctuation from warm to cold?
I'm not sure how long it's been since she's laid an egg. The reason why I separated her was bc she didn't seem to be handling the cold as well as the others. We've had a few nasty cold snaps, and I think trying to keep warm has burned a lot of calories. She's inside with a small silkie now. She's been inside since early January.

I'll try that, thanks. Hopefully, it'll help her gain back some of her weight too.
If you can’t have a fecal checked, you might ‘guess treat’ with fenbendazole (safeguard) for several days, in case high parasite load is partly the cause of her low weight?? Skip the scratch for now, as it’s notoriously low nutrition…a spoonful won’t hurt her, but make sure she’s getting high protein food - maybe get a bag of chick starter or some other higher protein feed. Or add in scrambled egg or other higher protein foods.
With chickens, it’s definitely process of elimination with many illnesses 😕

If you can’t have a fecal checked, you might ‘guess treat’ with fenbendazole (safeguard) for several days, in case high parasite load is partly the cause of her low weight?? Skip the scratch for now, as it’s notoriously low nutrition…a spoonful won’t hurt her, but make sure she’s getting high protein food - maybe get a bag of chick starter or some other higher protein feed. Or add in scrambled egg or other higher protein foods.
With chickens, it’s definitely process of elimination with many illnesses 😕
I'll pick some up and see if that helps too. Hopefully, she'll start to feel better after getting sole poulltry cell and chick starter in her. Thanks.

On the chance that she's feeling the effects of hypothermia, mix up one cup of warm water with one teaspoon sugar dissolved in it and give it to her to drink today in lieu of plain water. A squirt of poultry vitamins in it can't hurt. Be sure she's kept warm.

If this doesn't set her right again, then I would treat for a vitamin E deficiency with one capsule of E each day for the next week and see if that stops her seizures.

Back
Top Bottom