Cobalt in wormer. Is it safe?

lenadriver

Songster
6 Years
Dec 11, 2014
Australia
Cobalt in wormer??
Hi everyone.I need some advice. On moving to a new property 2 hrs away from my previous property, I have discovered that Ivermectin, even used concurrently with Levamisole in the water, is not very effective. I've done the 3 x 10 days apart, twice. I've even fed them garlic with and after the wormings, which also helped. There's always an improvement but it's not working nearly as effectively. I ended up using Equest, which has moxidectin & praziquantel orally & the Ivermectin on their necks at the same time. However, this method is not practical for me as it involves squeezing out a small amount of the Equest ( it's a horse wormer) and forcing it in their mouth. Finally, this worked.However, this method is not practical for me as it involves squeezing out a small amount of the Equest ( it's a horse wormer) and forcing it in their mouth. I've got over 100 birds & not enough energy! Now I've been looking at Trifecta pour on but it has cobalt in it-
ABAMECTIN @ 2g/L LEVAMISOLE @ 80g/L OXFENDAZOLE @ 45.3g/L COBALT AS COBALT EDTA @ 5g/L .
I've no idea if the cobalt will hurt them. Does anyone know?
Thank you!

Have you ever gotten a fecal test on some combined droppings to see if there are worm eggs in the feces, and what kinds of worms? Praziquantel is really only for tapeworms, and most of us do not have tapeworms. Moxidectin, if I remember correctly, is not used in chickens. Most use Valbazen or SafGuard which need to be given orally to each chicken. There is a wormer called Wormout Gel that can be used in the water for 2 straight days to treat all worms in chickens, and it does have some praziquantel and oxfendazole. Here is a link about it:
https://vetafarm.com/product/wormout-gel/

Hopefully @casportpony will be along, although she is in California near the power outtage areas.

What type of worm are you trying to get rid of?

Almost all dewormers really need to be given to each bird individually straight in the mouth.

I'm deworming a Brahma who has roundworms, with Wazine added in her water. Just discovered she had worms today when she pooped out a live wiggling one. She's been separated from the flock for a few months now to be treated for a vitamin deficiency, & I believe the worms maybe the cause for that.

@dawg53 has said that he does not recommend moxidectin except as a last resort in post 2 in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-w-moxidectin.1249271/
Several online sites do say it can be used in chickens, but I would follow the advice of @casportpony and @dawg53 first. They are very familiar with worming chickens.

It seems that Wazine 17 has been taken off the market in the last year. It only treated roundworms though.
I bought Wazine spring of this year from tractor supply. Why was it removed from the market?
It lists to treat roundworms, & tapeworms.

Back
Top Bottom