Clipping a rooster'z spurs???

To do a roosters Spurs use a hot potatoe. Put the hot potatoe on his spur for a minute or two. Then with plires twist them off . I thought it wasn't going to work, but it was so easy. It didn't even hurt him. I definitely recommend this way verses files or dog clippers.

I have a roo named big red, now close to two years old. He's developed spurs that are like needles. He hasnt attacked yet, but when I pick him up to do check ups, he struggles a lot. And with his spurs the way they are now, it would be very easy to give us bad cuts even by accident. We tried the method where you just wiggle the spur around to get it off on one of our culled hens with large spurs, but its it's actually breaking the bone off to. I imagine that would be painful, so I dont want to try that on my roo. Can the tips of his spurs be clipped like a dog's nails or is there another way??
I just clip the tips with a toe nail clipper.

I'll admit I didn't read this whole thread but there are some wacky ideas out there that seem inhumane .
I used to have a beautiful cochin roo (rip) whose spurs got so long they curled back and threatened to go into his leg. Simply get a pair of dog nail clippers and while he is on the roost for the night snip a bit off the ends. He won't even notice.

My daughter (adult) had a big old speckled sussex rooster who was very sweet and calm to be picked up. He had double spurs and the top one would curl around and dig right into his leg. The bottom one would get so long he scraped the opposite leg with it.

She would put him on her lap on his side while I trimmed with a pair of small tin snip/metal cutters. They work nice because they have thin blades like a needle nose plier and are super sharp. First I nipped off about a quarter inch and then slowly carved away in small chips until I could see the faint spot in the middle that indicated I was approaching the quick.

Perhaps having a helper would be a good idea. Emerald the rooster got so used to the routine he would almost fall asleep while we worked on him. He grew to like the attention and would just stand around waiting to be picked up.

I would not clip. I have had success with the hot potato method. There are videos on YouTube. You microwave a potato and then put it on the spur for a few minutes, then just twist off the spur. Underneath will be a smaller stump. No pain and no more long, nasty spurs.

I would not clip. I have had success with the hot potato method. There are videos on YouTube. You microwave a potato and then put it on the spur for a few minutes, then just twist off the spur. Underneath will be a smaller stump. No pain and no more long, nasty spurs.
That's the best way. They don't make noise and it slides off. If you just nip the top, your not getting the hole nail and quick. It's like a dog. If the nail grows to long then the quick is just as long. You have to cut it back. Trust me it doesn't hurt the animal. If you just use pliers and no potatoes then it probably hurts. But the potato softens up the nail.

Back
Top Bottom