City Folk

V Chic Chick

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bristol, England
Working at the city farm on saturday, I leaned over the wall to stroke one of the sheep. A woman says to me "oh, that's a nice goat isn't it".
ep.gif

A couple of minutes later she asks me if the ram in the next pen is pregnant. When I replied no, he is a ram, I am informed that he is massive and must be pregnant.
th.gif

Another person saw us trimming sheep's feet and thought we were abusing them!

And when telling one of my friends that Molly had started to lay, the conversation went something like:
Morgan: So are you going to eat her eggs then?
Me: Well, yes, of course.
Morgan: Urgh! But that's disgusting, I mean it came out of your chicken's arse!
Me: Well, where do you think eggs from the shop come from?
*long silence*

Some people!

I must defend us city folk though. I live in the city, but I certainly know the difference from a sheep and a goat and I definitely know that ALL chicken eggs come from a 'chicken's arse'!
lol.png

Last edited:
well I live in a suburban area and I have Honors Biology students that don't know where meat comes from...and that it is muscle tissue! We have lots of fun "food" discussions..they are so easily grossed out:eek:

My wife is very knowledgeable in regards to animals/wildlife we had two turtles in our creek and I told my wife maybe they will breed my wife told me two rooster she could tell by the shell. I couldn’t tell and wouldn’t have known. Maybe that is why they never seem to like being together.
roll.png

Last edited:
LOL, that reminds me of a time I went to the San Francisco Zoo to do some animal sketching. While standing in front of the antelope pens, people were walking by going, "Oh, look at the goat with the funny horns! Why do they have a goat?" And I had to restrain myself from screaming, "There's a sign right in front... with their name... and natural habitat... can't you READ?!"

And then, when standing by the Waterbuffalo pen -in which a "free range" peacock was roosting, some guy shouted, "Wow, look at the pelican!" I nearly fell over.
he.gif

And these weren't children, mind you, but full-grown adults -most leading unruly brood of their own. It's sad really, that there's so much of a disconnect between humans and animals, to say nothing of the ignorance of livestock origin and management. I think there are a lot of people that would rather remain ignorant than bear the responsibility of being good stewards.
hmm.png

That's nothing. When I was visiting Gettysburg last summer my wife and I almost died listening to a father tell his son that the Civil War happened a thousand years ago. The kid said something about his teacher telling him something different, and Dad said he need to go have a talk with "that teacher". We did manage to walk a safe distance before falling down in hysterical laughter.

Oy indeed!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom