Citronella Plant

urban orpington

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
We have a really bad mosquito problem in our backyard. So bad that, when we go out, my wife and I look like Charlie Brown's friend Pigpen...but instead of dirt it's a cloud of mosquitoes. While I am fine with dousing myself in Off for extended visits to the coop or backyard, I hate coming back into the house with that sticky feeling.

So I was thinking about getting some citronella plants for the area around the coop.

1) Will my hens try to eat citronella plants?
2) If they eat it, is it dangerous to them?

Just making sure. If I need to I can put them in planters and leave them on top of the coop's roof.

Citronella grass, also known as lemongrass, should not be an interest to chickens. Aromatic plants here, sage and rosemary, only interest my chickens when they are in bloom. The chickens will eat the blooms.

The cheap mosquito traps made with large coke bottles might work better for you.

Chris

I was considering putting one in my coop. It would serve a duel purpose kill the bugs that are eating me and give the girls a toasted treat.

I have a citronella plant on my patio that has been there for months and for some reason the last few days the chickens have been plucking the leaves off and eating them. I have basil, oregano, lavender, and other herbs growing in the yard, yet they never bother those.

Back
Top Bottom