Choosing a breed(s) for South Georgia

Luna1968

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 20, 2009
Metter, GA
I have read some literature on this site and in several books about the different breeds, but I'd like to hear more about picking a breed! I am building a moveable coop for 3-4 laying hens. I have four small children, two cats, and the possibility of a dog. I don't have a fully fenced yard, although I have plans for that to come with a dog in the near future. I live in Metter, GA, which is hot and humid with poor, sandy soil. I have never been around chickens, so I need a good beginner breed. I am not worried about showing the chickens. I just want a friendly, hardy bird that will be okay with kids and pets, can take the heat, lays a good amount of eggs, won't fly into my neighbors yard (I'm on a busy street) and won't die on me!
Thanks for any input!

Also- is it a good idea to mix breeds, as in maybe 2 of one breed, 2 of another? Also, I would prefer a fairly common breed that isn't hard to find. Thanks!

Leghorn chickens are a pretty hardy, beginner breed. They lay a lot of big eggs. Rode Island Reds are a good breed too. If you just want laying hens then its fine to mix breeds but you dont have too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Are the leghorns and Reds best for this climate though? I want to make sure I get a breed that will tolerate and thrive in S. Georgia heat.

Sorry to reply so late, but I just ran across this message. I live in South Georgia and have a small flock with a huge variety of birds! I have found that even the heavy breeds, like Cochins, do OK in our climate if they have PLENTY of water and PLENTY of shade. I have a baby pool that I fill up just about an inch, and they will go stand in it to cool off. It's funny to watch! My favorite heritage breed is the Buckeye. They are so intelligent, great with kids, awesome layers, and have beautiful mahogany-colored feathers. I have also really enjoyed Wyandottes, they are so beautiful and decent layers. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom