Chicksplosion! New chicks!

AshleySGM

Songster
Jun 26, 2018
Easley, SC
Yes I couldn't contain myself so I ordered chicks and had eggs in the incubator so we have 30 chicks right now! EEEk! I love those fuzzy butts! I went for breeds I hadn't had before. I've had RIRs, sex-links and such mostly in the past and long before that bantams that were in assorted breeds, but in full size it's always just been red production birds really. So I chose to try some new stuff.

So from Hoover I wanted to add to the BLRW knowing that it would be a long shot to have a good enough bird for the breeding program, but even if none meet the requirements they can go into the laying flock. I ordered 3 straight run from Hoover. I've also really really wanted Sapphire Gems so I ordered 3, and last I wanted to try out Faverolles. I chose to get a rooster and 3 pullets. Mainly due to the sweet nature, I figured as beautiful as the roosters are it wouldn't hurt to have one, but they sent me 2. To fill out the order and not tack on a fee for being under 15, I added 5 production pack pullets and they sent 3 Isa Browns, a Barred Rock and a Brown Leghorn. I didn't expect any white egg layers and really wanted some so I ordered chicks from Ideal on the same day. 3 California Whites, 3 Brown Leghorns and 3 Black Australorps. All breeds I haven't had before. So that tallied us up to 25 chicks. They're two weeks old.
9-6-18-7.jpg

9-6-18-BrownLeghorn1.jpg

9-6-18-9.jpg

For the eggs, they're BLRW too from eBay, mostly to test out the incubator and we got 5 healthy chicks from a dozen jumbled eggs. I haven't snapped any pictures of them. :D I am definitely blue-crazed and BLRW are so darn cute! Here's more photos of the BLRW chicks.
9-6-18-BLRW3.jpg

9-6-18-BLRW1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom