Chicks

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
This morning I have my first chick! Humidity was 80% when I go up. Do I remove the caps to keep the humidity down to 65%? Also will my chicks dry if the caps are still on? 10 more are pipping! I don't know if they can drown if the humidity is too high. Thanks

This morning I have my first chick! Humidity was 80% when I go up. Do I remove the caps to keep the humidity down to 65%? Also will my chicks dry if the caps are still on? 10 more are pipping! I don't know if they can drown if the humidity is too high. Thanks
The humidity doesn't have to be pushed down to 65%, as a matter of fact I shoot for 75%, but the plugs do need to be removed for air circulation as Gardener stated. I actually keep my plugs out for the duration of the hatch. (In truth, I don't even have the plugs..lol My sister lost them before she gave me the bator...lol). I will cover them in times of stabilizing the bator after opening or at lockdown to up the humidity initially, but for the most part they are left opened.

Thanks, the humidity has increased through out the day as the chicks were hatching, it was anywhere from 65% to 80% with no impact what so ever on the chicks. Out of 33 eggs 13 have hatched and a bunch more are pipping and zipping. Very pleased!

Here are some of my chicks. My Roosters are an EE and a Turken. My hens are too numerous to name. Almost all of my brown eggs either hatched or are pipping none of my green eggs have pipped yet. I locked down at 16 days and they started hatching on day 19. I was told for a still air incubator that you could lock down anywhere from 16-18 days so that is what I did with great results.

Back
Top Bottom