Chicks just vanishing

ElfenLied89

Crowing
May 30, 2023
South Carolina
I have had 4 babies go missing and one headless in the middle of the enclosed run before that. Which i suspect maybe a raccoon. All in the span of a week. Went out yesterday, my White Palm turkey poult? Just gone. Day before that? My 2 wyandottes just gone. I looked everywhere. This afternoon? I fed everyone. Did a head count and everyone was fine. That was at like 2pm. Left to take my kids to eat, came back 2 hours later and my adorable black baby silkie was just gone.

I have been around the entire enclosure and have made sure they couldn't push the gate through etc. If I had more money atm I would completely redo the chick area. As it stands, it is metal bars and that wire mesh that comes with the chicken runs.

Anyone have any ideas? I am planning to buy a trail cam soon. I just don't know what to do about the babies going missing. 😞

You can kinda see the run area for the babies in the pic. This is my NN silkie mix, Dolly Parton. Don't mind the poop. They prefer to roost ON the run rather than on the roost inside it for them.

Attachments

• 20240424_200823.jpg
    20240424_200823.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 52
The headless one may be work of a raccoon ripping the head off thru where he could reach.
I don't know why I get this strange vibe,,,, but your predator may be 2 legged???
They see you leave to get your children,,, and they feel safe to steal.
A game camera would work, but make sure you hide it well.
If camera comes up missing,,, then stock up on ammo.
Sooooo SAD to hear this:(

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

The headless one may be work of a raccoon ripping the head off thru where he could reach.
I don't know why I get this strange vibe,,,, but your predator may be 2 legged???
They see you leave to get your children,,, and they feel safe to steal.
A game camera would work, but make sure you hide it well.
If camera comes up missing,,, then stock up on ammo.
Sooooo SAD to hear this:(

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs
My husband was saying the same. But we were wondering why would our neighbors steal our chicks? But they have a coop and run in their yard. I'd go peek in there but it's super far in their yard, and I'd feel like a creep. I already have a trail cam OTE but won't be here til Saturday at the earliest. Might see if I can buy one til then and take it back if the other one coming is better.

Tomorrow we are getting pavers, rocks, and other big rocks to line the outside. Especially since I have 4 babies hatching between now and tomorrow night.

Idk if I'd rather it be a person or an animal. Either way I don't want anymore babies stolen.

It may be a totally different neighbor, more distant. :idunno
Nah. We live in the country and unless they are traipsing through woods and coming around the side of my house, through the back yard, and into my gated front yard without being seen by my neighbors yard cam (it doesn't face my yard but faces the dirt road), then it's gotta be the people beside me. Idk.

I just wish I knew what I was up against. Camera comes in Sunday.

I have had 4 babies go missing and one headless in the middle of the enclosed run before that. Which i suspect maybe a raccoon. All in the span of a week. Went out yesterday, my White Palm turkey poult? Just gone. Day before that? My 2 wyandottes just gone. I looked everywhere. This afternoon? I fed everyone. Did a head count and everyone was fine. That was at like 2pm. Left to take my kids to eat, came back 2 hours later and my adorable black baby silkie was just gone.

I have been around the entire enclosure and have made sure they couldn't push the gate through etc. If I had more money atm I would completely redo the chick area. As it stands, it is metal bars and that wire mesh that comes with the chicken runs.

Anyone have any ideas? I am planning to buy a trail cam soon. I just don't know what to do about the babies going missing. 😞

You can kinda see the run area for the babies in the pic. This is my NN silkie mix, Dolly Parton. Don't mind the poop. They prefer to roost ON the run rather than on the roost inside it for them.
Maybe a fox… they just snatch em up and go bury the catch until they are ready to eat it. They will keep coming back until they get all or until it gets too hard or risky to get the last few.
Sorry, 😞 unfortunately I’m speaking from experience last spring. I caught it on camera.
I have 4 cameras positioned around my chicken yard. Foxes stake out the area first and then make their move in a flash! It’s unbelievable how swift they are.
I hope you catch your predator and sorry you lost your chickens.

Nah. We live in the country and unless they are traipsing through woods and coming around the side of my house, through the back yard, and into my gated front yard without being seen by my neighbors yard cam (it doesn't face my yard but faces the dirt road), then it's gotta be the people beside me. Idk.

I just wish I knew what I was up against. Camera comes in Sunday.
Can you secure them in a hardware covered pen until they're older? Everything will eats baby chick even a squirrel.

Back
Top Bottom