Chicks dying, they were shipped today

I'm curious what breed of chicks you have that are dying? We too got our shipment of chicks yesterday. Of the 25 3 have died so far and 3 are pretty weak, actually im suprised they survived the night :( Ours that are doing poorly are silver polish. We got 5 other breeds in our shipment and all of those are doing great, so it's odd that just the polish are doing poorly
1- Pearl Leghorn arrived dead
2- The "free exotic rare chick" they include with the order died shortly after arrival
3- Silver Laced Wyandotte died shortly after arrival
4-Pearl Leghorn is very weak right now
5-Light Brahma is very weak right now (and very small)
6-Red Star very weak and very small

Of the remaining chicks (I think we have 24 left in the two brooders), we have a mix of Pearl Leghorns, Buff Orps, Red Stars, Light Brahmas, New Hampshires, Easter Eggers. They all seem to be doing OK and coming around, but a big handful of them are on the small side.

Last edited:
:( Our rare exotic chick was doa as well. I imagine its just way too cold this time of year to ship those. Our polish are so weak, one I haven't been able to get to eat anything Im quite surprised they made it through the night. They are super lethargic,ive tried sugar water, and even a little honey as per the hatchery.

i had ordered 20 blr wyandottes and 5 white jersey giants. i now down to 1 white jersey giant and 11 blrws. they had sent 27 total chicks. ilike i had said i had 10 doa. ive had 5 died since i got them.

Is this a normally reliable hatchery? I've not gotten started with my chickens yet, as we're planning on moving and I don't want to try to move a flock in the back of a u-haul truck for 4 days of driving. So for now, I'm just trying to watch and see which hatcheries people recommend.

On another post I read that when someone received their shipment last month, they had a couple non-responsive chicks that they thought were going to die. They plugged their incubator in and put the chicks in it to warm up for a couple hours. From what I understood, I think the chicks recovered. They seem to be very susceptible to cold shock.

I've only used mypetchicken.com n had very healthy chicks. I was going to use mcmurry but I only wanted 5 and they will send orders smaller than 25. Shipping was a lil high but I got them in nov and they traveled a long way to get here. I was very pleased, my hens r quality and customer service was great too. Hope that helps. :)

re shipping on Saturday, according to the cusomer service rep I spoke with that is their practice. I don't get it. Last year I used mypetchicken and they ship on Monday and Tuesday with Chicks arriving Tues-Thursday. I cancelled my order to Murray McMurray because of this and am opting for less variety but more healthy chicks this year by going to the feed store for my babies.

Last edited:
Travis, looks like we are in a similar situation. We had 9 DOA, 3 died shortly after, and 5 died in the past several hours. A couple look like they're not going to make it either. Ours was a mix of Buff Minorcas and Bantams. The Minorcas were mainly to get the minimum order to 25. There are 11 chicks left out of an original 28.

Edit: Another Buff Minorca is on it's way out. Head flexed back, beak opening and closing, same as the others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom