Chicks Dropping Dead

Rhodebar Lover

Brahma Fanatic
9 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Arrington, Tennessee USA
This is my fifth time with mail order chicks and I have never had anything like this happen. We received 21 chicks in the mail, but 2 were weak and we couldn't revive them and died the first day (nothing out of the ordinary.) I had them on electrolyte and vitamin water for first three days while they were on puppy pads too. After that, I switched to normal water and puppy pads with large flake pine shavings on top. Around this same time one chick previously doing well suddenly started labored breathing and passed away within hours. Now yesterday, (my 4th day having the chicks) one of the previous healthy chicks suddenly dropped over and laid down for a little bit, twisting it's head upwards. Within a minute or so it was up (yet a little shaky) but eating like the rest if them. I wondered if it wouldn't make it through the night, yet did, but there was a different chick dead in the brooder! I noticed absolutely nothing previously wrong either. I am just worried that this might occur again and I'm at loss as to what is going on. They were from a NPIP certified breeder, but have not been on medicated food, just the normal Nutrena starter. I clean the brooder which is about 16 square feet minimum of 2-3 times a day for the now 17 chicks. There are no drafts either and the bedding while sometimes gets soiled, is never dusty or damp. Help!

Sorry about your chicks. There may have been a bad hatch or they were stressed in the mail. Many people that hatch at home will suffer losses or neurological problems and vitamin deficiencies. I would offer each one Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops orally, and get them all drinking water. Check each one for pasty butt and make sure they are warm enough with a cooler spot in the brooder.

Here's a picture of the brooder. I am not sure on the exact temp. I have a titan incubator heater panel. They disperse pretty well amongst the brooder I think. I showed them all the water when they first arrived and I believe they know the location. I have not kept track of which ones, but there are usually a few over there. Some have been getting pasty butt, but I have been washing them with warm water and some natural green goo brand chicken soap. Here is the brooder

Attachments

• 11CD5335-BD22-4DD1-BC70-C09A71545621.jpeg
    11CD5335-BD22-4DD1-BC70-C09A71545621.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 9
The symptoms of E. Coli include fever, lethargy, trouble breathing, diarrhea, and coughing. It is caused when there is too much stress, overcrowding, or sanitary conditions during hatching. There is not a cure, but just kind of let them be and keep their home clean. Also you should probably NutriDrench in their water, as @Eggcessive said earlier.

Sorry about your chicks. There may have been a bad hatch or they were stressed in the mail. Many people that hatch at home will suffer losses or neurological problems and vitamin deficiencies. I would offer each one Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops orally, and get them all drinking water. Check each one for pasty butt and make sure they are warm enough with a cooler spot in the brooder.
Thank you! I purchased them from a decent sized breeder that seems to have good reviews. Is the problem due to the hatching method? I am going to put this back into their water. Is this enough or is there benefit to NutriDrench?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 3
If the chick is drinking normally, the Durvet vitamins would be okay, but a drench type vitamin with electrolytes gives a quick boost.

This is my fifth time with mail order chicks and I have never had anything like this happen. We received 21 chicks in the mail, but 2 were weak and we couldn't revive them and died the first day (nothing out of the ordinary.) I had them on electrolyte and vitamin water for first three days while they were on puppy pads too. After that, I switched to normal water and puppy pads with large flake pine shavings on top. Around this same time one chick previously doing well suddenly started labored breathing and passed away within hours. Now yesterday, (my 4th day having the chicks) one of the previous healthy chicks suddenly dropped over and laid down for a little bit, twisting it's head upwards. Within a minute or so it was up (yet a little shaky) but eating like the rest if them. I wondered if it wouldn't make it through the night, yet did, but there was a different chick dead in the brooder! I noticed absolutely nothing previously wrong either. I am just worried that this might occur again and I'm at loss as to what is going on. They were from a NPIP certified breeder, but have not been on medicated food, just the normal Nutrena starter. I clean the brooder which is about 16 square feet minimum of 2-3 times a day for the now 17 chicks. There are no drafts either and the bedding while sometimes gets soiled, is never dusty or damp. Help!
Maybe its who your ordering from?

Back
Top Bottom