Chicks are hatching and the power went out!

Smamson

Hatching
Aug 20, 2020
I have three quail chicks that are two days old in the brooder, two freshly hatched chicks in the incubator, and another egg that pipped a few hours ago. The power outage is expected to last for four more hours. For the eggs that are hatching and the damp chicks, what should I do? I keep reptiles so I do have emergency heat packs that keep a consistent temp of 100f, should I quickly place one in the incubator and put all the eggs around it? Here is picture of incubator I have if that helps.
15980172362205403929337486035148.jpg

Attachments

• 15980172120358445690760911092539.jpg
    15980172120358445690760911092539.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 0
I would do the heat packs with maybe a towel wrapped around the incubator to keep the heat in but do not cover the vent holes so they don’t suffocate.

You could remove the chicks and put a few heat packs and a towel with them.

Do you have a grill? You can boil water and put it in bottles then wrap a towel around them then put the chicks with that.

You can also put the chicks on your lap with a towel to snuggle them up and keep them warm.

I would do the heat packs with maybe a towel wrapped around the incubator to keep the heat in but do not cover the vent holes so they don’t suffocate.

You could remove the chicks and put a few heat packs and a towel with them.

Do you have a grill? You can boil water and put it in bottles then wrap a towel around them then put the chicks with that.

You can also put the chicks on your lap with a towel to snuggle them up and keep them warm.
I did some more searching on my reptile heat packs, they're made by uniheat and I found a few other threads for peopl
I have three quail chicks that are two days old in the brooder, two freshly hatched chicks in the incubator, and another egg that pipped a few hours ago. The power outage is expected to last for four more hours. For the eggs that are hatching and the damp chicks, what should I do? I keep reptiles so I do have emergency heat packs that keep a consistent temp of 100f, should I quickly place one in the incubator and put all the eggs around it? Here is picture of incubator I have if that helps. View attachment 2299644
UPDATE:
Power came back on after two hours, the incubator did drop in temp by ten degrees for about thirty minutes because it took a bit for the heat packs to warm up. The eggs that are pipped are still moving, one looks like it's I'm the process of zipping, the other is just pecking repeatedly out of the same spot. That second one has been pipped since 4pm yesterday so I'm a bit worried about it. The newly hatched chicks are still doing good and drying out.

Back
Top Bottom