Chickens with "runner ducks?"

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I did a Google search on housing chickens and ducks together in the same coop and I found one thread from here at BYC. One of the members replying to the thread said they keep "runner ducks" with their chickens no problem. I guess I was wondering what exactly a runner duck was and if it really was as easy as they say. I know ducks need a pond, I have a run attached to my coop that is roughly 2000 square feet. I was thinking of filling up four or five of those blue kiddie pools and getting five or six ducks. This is all "what if" at the moment and I'm just trying to gauge how plausible this may be. I am really unfamiliar with ducks.

Another question: My chickens and guineas free range. Can ducks free range too or is it best to keep them in a run?

Thanks

Depending on the ducks, keeping them in a run may be easier said than done. My ducks are great foragers (I have Muscovies), unfortunately, they are arborreal (like to roost up in trees) and fly quite well. My chickens and ducks live together in as much as the ducks go in the coop at night. During the day they are generally off on their own, but that doesn't mean that they will not socialize with the chickens. They even taught the chickens how to drink from the sled without drowning...I don't think my ducks are nearly as messy as everyone says they are....but then I have 3 acres for them to roam. Runner ducks look like bowling pins.

I did a Google search on housing chickens and ducks together in the same coop and I found one thread from here at BYC. One of the members replying to the thread said they keep "runner ducks" with their chickens no problem. I guess I was wondering what exactly a runner duck was and if it really was as easy as they say. I know ducks need a pond, I have a run attached to my coop that is roughly 2000 square feet. I was thinking of filling up four or five of those blue kiddie pools and getting five or six ducks. This is all "what if" at the moment and I'm just trying to gauge how plausible this may be. I am really unfamiliar with ducks.

Another question: My chickens and guineas free range. Can ducks free range too or is it best to keep them in a run?

Thanks
Runner ducks are a breed of duck. They are on the smaller side, lay well, are a bit skittish. They are often used to teach herding breeds to herd as they run instead of wattle.
Keeping ducks and chickens together happily depends on alot of things. Space, breeds and individual personality.

Ducks don't "need" a pond, they do appreciate a bath though. If you only have 5 or 6 ducks, you only need 1 maybe 2 pools.

Your run size is fine but you also need to ensure you have enough coop space for your chickens and ducks. Ducks would need a seperate area, at least an area to sleep not under the chicken's roosts or in the nestboxes. Ducks are messier than chickens and enjoy anything wet. This can make life miserable if not unhealthy for chickens if the situation is not appropriate.

Research breeds, that will be a big factor in what type of space they will need.

hi, i have just bought chickens and runner ducks, they have a large enclosed tun attached to the coop for shelter, they all seem fine together. i have a raised area for a small pools where the ducks can spalsh about in ., and that area draines well , the lower side keeps drier for the chickens, they all sleep in the coop together , and the ducks and chickens sleep together most nights, the chicken do have purches to roost on and also nest boxes, but seem to choose to sleep with the ducks (indian runners ) it all seems to be working fine at the moment.

mandy

Depending on the ducks, keeping them in a run may be easier said than done. My ducks are great foragers (I have Muscovies), unfortunately, they are arborreal (like to roost up in trees) and fly quite well. My chickens and ducks live together in as much as the ducks go in the coop at night. During the day they are generally off on their own, but that doesn't mean that they will not socialize with the chickens. They even taught the chickens how to drink from the sled without drowning...I don't think my ducks are nearly as messy as everyone says they are....but then I have 3 acres for them to roam. Runner ducks look like bowling pins.
Runner ducks are Indian Runners. They are tall slender long-necked ducks that do not fly. You can let them forage in your garden as they will eat all the bugs (natural insecticides). They are skittish so you need to spend time with them every day to keep them friendly. They come in all kinds of colors and markings. I have three. Their eggs are amazing for baking and will lay longer than chickens.

Runner ducks are Indian Runners. They are tall slender long-necked ducks that do not fly. You can let them forage in your garden as they will eat all the bugs (natural insecticides). They are skittish so you need to spend time with them every day to keep them friendly. They come in all kinds of colors and markings. I have three. Their eggs are amazing for baking and will lay longer than chickens.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom