chickens sound like their coughing

bigdog1163

Chirping
8 Years
May 5, 2012
i noticed a few of my chickens have started to make a congested coughing sound. i was told if you squirt apple cider vinegar down their thought it will kill what ever it is making them sick. does any one know what this cough might be or if the apple cider will help. i don't want to put them through that if it wont help.

Do NOT squirt apple cider vinegar down their throat! Whoever told you that doesnt know what they are talking about.
Are there any other symptoms such as; bubbles in eyes, runny nostrils, wheezing or sneezing, swollen faces?
Have you introduced new birds to your flock recently?

The ACV thing sounds like nonsense. We wouldn't need antibiotics if a shot of ACV was a cure all.
Chickens aren't much different than any other animal, including humans. Lots of things can afflict us. Bacteria, virus, fungus, parasites, etc..
What you are describing could be so many things, I'd hate to speculate and steer you wrong.

Do NOT squirt apple cider vinegar down their throat! Whoever told you that doesnt know what they are talking about.
Are there any other symptoms such as; bubbles in eyes, runny nostrils, wheezing or sneezing, swollen faces?
Have you introduced new birds to your flock recently?
yes, just got a bunch of new babies and a rooster

The vinegar straight would burn their throats! Take a minute or two and really look them over before just doing “something”. Have you looked inside their mouth? Are they slinging snot?(not to be crude or simple). If so is it clear? Or mucus looking? What about their eyes? Any crusty dried gunk? Is the area around the eyes inflamed or swollen? Have you recently sprayed or put down something in your yard? The more complete information the better we can try to help. Can you take any photos of your worst looking bird (eyes would be good)

they look fine eat fine nothing that would make them seem sick. just have a funny cough sound. they act like nothing is wrong with them. mouths and eyes are clear.

Here areare thethe chickenschickens thatthat havehave a cough

Attachments

• IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0262.jpg
    IMAG0262.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 7
It might be something in the environment causing them to cough, for example; feed dust, dust from dust bathing, pollen, poor ventilation in coops, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, smoke. Perhaps mold or fungus in coop or in feed which could be deadly if moldy feed is eaten.

It might be something in the environment causing them to cough, for example; feed dust, dust from dust bathing, pollen, poor ventilation in coops, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, smoke. Perhaps mold or fungus in coop or in feed which could be deadly if moldy feed is eaten.
Maybe it' Is dust. It is a brand new coop I just had built. So it is clean and dry

Back
Top Bottom