Chickens refusing to eat grit and oyster shell?

Noble Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
NY
So my silly girls, who basically eat anything that can't outrun them and happily scarf down tiny pebbles, etc. when out foraging (1-2 hours/day) absolutely refuse to eat grit or oyster shell. I tried mixing the grit with their food but they would eat around it and it ended up clogging the feeder. I currently mix the oyster shell with the food and they'll take a little but not a lot. I have offered it free choice and it ends up becoming a toy. When I make them a warm mash from their layer pellets I will add some grit and shell to that since they tend to slurp the mash down without coming up for air. Everyone's digestion seems to be OK but I've noticed that one girl's eggshells are touch thinner than they used to be and was wondering if the general disdain for oyster shell might be contributing. Has anyone else experienced this? Are my chickens weird for not eating it?

My chickens are the same way. I wouldn't worry about the grit if they are free ranging. They'll find their own. As far as the oyster shells go, the chickens will eat it if they need it and it does last a long time. Plus, if your feeding laying pellets, they have a lot of calcium.
On the other hand, I buy liquid calcium ( Calciquid) for my African Grey and I have given it to a couple of chickens that were laying soft eggs (just an eye dropper) and it fixed the problem within a few days. Seems to me the problem with soft shells is more prevalent in older hens.

Hey,

We have three areas where our chickens live. Each area is 18' x 18' and the coop sits in the middle. Each area has about a dozen chickens. We do not and never have given grit to our chickens. They pick up plenty from the ground within their area. We only feed Purina Mills SunFresh Recipe Scratch Grains in the winter. Even then, we only give it in the evenings and only as much as they can eat in about a 5 minute time frame. Scratch grains should not be more than 10% of their total diet. Even in the winter when we are giving scratch grains we do not give grit because they get plenty from the ground in their area. This may not work in all areas, but it's worked for us just fine.

Grit and oyster shell are offered in a separate dishes 24/7 and they only eat it if they need it for their system. If they free range some during the day or have dirt runs they do not need grit. They pick up pebbles, stones or gritty dirt. Some hens need extra calcium for their egg shells, some do not. That's the reason oyster shell is kept out 24/7 in a separate dish. My opinions!

I'm sure chicken knows best. If the grit is available and they don't eat it then it probably means they are finding enough as they scratch about on the ground.

If the eggs have good enough shells I wouldn't worry at all.

Quote:
Exactly what she said!
Read the label on your layer feed--if it is formulated for layers, it will have added calcium. They will rarely eat more if this is the case as they do not need it. It is not good to feed more calcium than they need, as it can be hard on their kidneys and make lumpy shells. But I do think it is a good idea to have a little in a separate dish so if one needs a bit more, she can get it. (They know what they need)

I feed layer and my some of my girls started laying really thin shelled eggs so I got a 7 lb. feeder and put cardboard down the middle one side is grit , other side is oyster shell. They started taking in what they needed and the shells got better. They started taking in more with it in a feeder that is like the one their food is in. They would eat around it if it was mixed in with food. I have it hanging 24/7 . This has worked out best for me . I would say watch your birds see what their eating habbit is like . Then make or come up with a way that would be best for your flock. If really worried try crushing it to powder (or get powder for bottom of bag) and coating mealworms/crickets with it. I would not do it all the time, but they might start to take in what they want then.
hu.gif
Worth a try. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom