Chickens looks like they've been attacked ... but haven't ... maybe?

ChixinLyons

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Two of our six hens are missing a large patch of feathers on their back and the skin is red and raw. No predator has gotten to them and it just happened while we were gone for about four hours today. They were fine this morning when we let them out of the coop into their pen. Any ideas? While we have these chickens for their eggs, they've become part of our family and they're our pets. Can anyone help? Thank you!

We don't have a rooster -- at least we don't think we do. They're only about 28 weeks old and are all supposed to be hens. No one is crowing, but one of the two with the problem is one we think is looking more like a rooster than a hen (crown on top of her/his head is getting larger by the day!). I'll take a picture in the morning when they come out of the coop. Thank you for the help!

Well, I took pictures but can't figure out how to post them ... I realize that doesn't help you help me! I can't find an 'attach' or 'insert' or anything of the sort.

Ok here are the pictures
62756_rooster.jpg

62756_top.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics! Does anyone have any idea of what's happening to two of my hens?

Looks like somebody was trying to breed with them? A friend of mine had all hens and she had one that would pull the feathers from the backs of other birds.

Back
Top Bottom