Chickens got into strange plant!!! Need to know if it's safe

goodmanfarm

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
SE Maryland, USA
Hello!! I just got back from a two-hour trip and my chickens had gotten loose in my yard! They usually stay in their enclosed as we have many predators lurking around. Everyone was found safe and sound but I noticed they got into a strange ground cover growing by our shed. They all ate a lot of it and I don't know what it is!! A few plant-identifying apps told me it was either Chinese stilt grass or carpet grass weed. Are these safe for chickens?? Will upload photos soon

Here's the plant

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 11
  • image3 (1).jpeg
    image3 (1).jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 11
Hello fellow Marylander! Some of what I can see in two of the pics is stilt grass, which is an invasive species, but edible. The close up pic is something different, not exactly sure what that is, but I've seen it here too.

Edited to add-
I went to look that up, as I wanted to know as well. It is carpet grass, also known as joint grass, and also an invasive species.
Left to right- stilt grass, basket grass, carpet grass
1629072704429.png

Last edited:
Hello fellow Marylander! Some of what I can see in two of the pics is stilt grass, which is an invasive species, but edible. The close up pic is something different, not exactly sure what that is, but I've seen it here too.

Edited to add-
I went to look that up, as I wanted to know as well. It is carpet grass, also known as joint grass, and also an invasive species.
Left to right- stilt grass, basket grass, carpet grass
View attachment 2799533
Ok thank you! Are those ones edible too? All my hens seem fine and unharmed, but I wonder if they'd like eating that grass as a snack. They seemed to really enjoy it, and since their enclosure is sand, they eat any grass that comes their way!

Ok thank you! Are those ones edible too? All my hens seem fine and unharmed, but I wonder if they'd like eating that grass as a snack. They seemed to really enjoy it, and since their enclosure is sand, they eat any grass that comes their way!

Yes, if they are penned up, definitely give them some greens! Just be careful not to over do it or they could potentially get diarrhea if they aren't used to eating greens. Also only give them plants that you can identify as safe. My chickens go crazy over chickweed, which comes up in the spring and fall.
1629300764095.png

Yes, if they are penned up, definitely give them some greens! Just be careful not to over do it or they could potentially get diarrhea if they aren't used to eating greens. Also only give them plants that you can identify as safe. My chickens go crazy over chickweed, which comes up in the spring and fall.
View attachment 2802696
ok, thank you for your help! We give them plenty of kale and there's a clover patch that grows in their enclosure that has miraculously survived!

Back
Top Bottom