Chickens die when it rains

Masterjoe

Chirping
8 Years
May 5, 2014
So I have my cornish rocks in a covered chicken tractor. Have chicken wire for sides and corrugated tin roof. They been fine here almost 2 weeks. Birds are about 3 weeks old. We got an in of rain yesterday and at the end of the storm it was cooler outside obviously. I had 6 dead chickens. Today its 63 outside and by 12:00 I have 3 more dead. I'm not happy. Any suggestions or anyone else have this problem? This is not my first rodeo dealing with this issue. Need a fix. Thinking about laying 2 large tarps over it on cooler rainy days to keep it a bit warmer inside. I had 48 birds in a 14 ft 9 in by 8 ft tractor 24 inches high. I now have 37 chickens.

Oh is the tractor coop not covered?

This year I also had a broad breasted poult die after it got sick from hard rain. I had the tractor coop covered but it still got wet from one of the sides.

Thankfully it was just that one and it didn't/doesn't happen every single time it rains.

Can't let chicks get wet at all, only if they can dry completely in a few minutes. Wet chicks lose there heat rapidly even in warm conditions.

So your tractor needs to be water proof, meaning they won't get any moisture on them.

Back
Top Bottom