Chickens: Chicken Stock

Yeah in Vermont sometimes the internet connection can be spotty at best. Hopefully he is just busy.
sad.png

Yeah that's what I did and it came out perfect. I have another batch of meaties to do so I can't wait I will be cooking up stock all week afterwards.

Oh my God - this is so good!! I started my chicken stock yesterday with all the leftover chicken parts that I had been saving in the freezer. Roasted everything until nice & brown & then set it on the stove with a slow boil. After 3-4 hours, it was smelling so good! I hope I have enough to freeze/can, since we started eating it last night. Even before it was strained!!

Today, it's going to cook down some more & then it will get strained , and the fat removed. It's been years since I made chicken stock. This is so, so good, I can't believe I gave it up.

I used the same method with my turkey carcass last month because it is so hard to fine gluten free for a family member and it turned out so rich and awesome! I sure miss this posters recipes and ideas
sad.png
they have all been awesome, I learned how to butcher using his tutorial.

The best part of stock for me is that it is such a valuable & versatile pantry staple yet it is made using my kitchen scraps & meat we would otherwise discard.

I too make a lot of stock. Only because I saw it on here.
smile.png
Since I make a lot of beef, chicken and veggie stock, I simplified it. Whatever meat Im using, I throw that in my large roaster and set the temp on 400.

I roast til almost brown then add my veggies and continue roasting. I do not add water during the roasting. After everything is browned then I fill the roaster full of water and bring to a boil. I add peppercorns and bay leaves too. Then I set temp to 200 and let simmer for a couple days.

I let cool, strain in empty icecream tubs, put in frig over night. Next day, I peel off fat then heat back up to pressure can.

I like the fact it is all done in one roaster. I usually end up with about 7-9 quarts canned.

I dont measure anything. I just throw in a bunch of bones then some mixed veggie peels that I stock up in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom