Chicken with swollen goopy eyes, and gurgly breathing.

Thanera

Songster
Nov 21, 2020
Panhandle of NE
Found my 1.5yo Seabright chicken laying out in the middle of the run this morning not really moving and I noticed one of her eyes was swollen and goopy with both gooey mucus and liquid. She was absolutly fine last night. I brought her inside and set up and dark cozy place for her to keep warm and put some terramycin ointment in her eyes and gave her some Marbofloxacin I had on hand (Around 10 AM) but now both of her eyes are swollen (11 PM). She hasnt eaten anything but she does drink water. Her poops are just white urates. I have been gently cleaning her eyes with a soft warm cloth every few hours.

I have some Amtyl on hand, should I give her that instead would that be better?

It sounds like symptoms of a chronic respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza or similar. Do you notice a bad odor from the face, or thick nasal mucus? Have you seen any respiratory issues before in a flock member? I would flush the eyes with saline eye wash, and apply the antibiotic twice daily. The oral antibiotic may help treat her symptoms, but she may be a carrier.

It sounds like symptoms of a chronic respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza or similar. Do you notice a bad odor from the face, or thick nasal mucus? Have you seen any respiratory issues before in a flock member? I would flush the eyes with saline eye wash, and apply the antibiotic twice daily. The oral antibiotic may help treat her symptoms, but she may be a carrier.
I dont notice any odor or super thick mucus coming out of her nose, it seems to be just runny liquid that dries a kinda brown yellow. I'll for sure do the eyewash.

Honestly after reading what MG is I wouldn't surprise me if that is what is it. All of my chickens come from the same rural breeder and they had hundreds of chickens just running around wild more or less. A few when I got them were sneezy/wheezy when I first got them I remember but it all just cleared up on it's own.

Her eyes are still really swollen and bubbly today, but she's pretty purkey and fiesty? She doesnt like me touching/messing with her face and she's been standing/ moving around. She will drink water and I was able to feed her a little baby food.

I would send off for the Tylosin or call around to locate Tylan 50 in your area feedstores or TSC:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Tylosin dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Tylan 50 injectable dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given 3 times a day for 5 days. For a seabright, that would be about 0.25 ml if she is about 1 pound.

I would send off for the Tylosin or call around to locate Tylan 50 in your area feedstores or TSC:
Tylosin dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Tylan 50 injectable dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given 3 times a day for 5 days. For a seabright, that would be about 0.25 ml if she is about 1 pound.
Sounds good thank you, I order the tylosin :)

Update: No improvement but she hasnt gotten any worse. Still very fiesty and alert. I had thought she had issues breathing but she breathes fine with her mouth open. Her nose and eyes are just swollen and stuffed.

I've rinsed her eyes once last night and twice today and both are still very swollen, one swollen shut. Im giving her Amtyl until the Tylosin arrives in the next few days. Is there anything I should do to help reduce the swelling?

Back
Top Bottom