HannahL

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi all! I wasn't sure what what category to put this thread in so I just put it in this one. I'm interested in entering one or two of my hens in a poultry show. They are both very beautiful and have the right temperaments for it, I think. They are a Buff Brahma and a Lavender Orpington. I have two other hens (a Partridge Olive Egger and a Barred Plymouth Rock) that might also be good for shows. The only issue is I'm not really sure how to go about entering them. Like at all. Like how do I find shows, how do I enter them, what category do my birds go in, how to prepare for a show, do they need an vaccines or info about their genetics or anything? This is totally new to me so I apologize if I'm coming across as clueless. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I'm located in Massachusetts if that helps at all but I would be willing to travel to New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island or Maine. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Search online for county fairs near you, then search (fair name) entry information. You should find something like an online entry form. Testing varies state to state.

I recommend showing only the Brahma and Plymouth Rock. The others are not recognized.

Search online for county fairs near you, then search (fair name) entry information. You should find something like an online entry form. Testing varies state to state.

I recommend showing only the Brahma and Plymouth Rock. The others are not recognized.
Thanks so much for your help! This may sound like a stupid question, but does that mean that they aren't recognized as breeds? Sorry it's probably super obvious but I just figured I would make sure. Also, do the birds need any vaccines or papers or anything before a show?

Thanks so much for your help! This may sound like a stupid question, but does that mean that they aren't recognized as breeds? Sorry it's probably super obvious but I just figured I would make sure. Also, do the birds need any vaccines or papers or anything before a show?
Olive Egger isn't a breed. Lavender is not a recognized color of Orpington.

What state are you in? Most states waived any kind of health papers for chickens this year due to an antigen shortage. In WI it is such for all shows and swaps. Thus why I'm showing at State despite not being a tested flock.

Olive Egger isn't a breed. Lavender is not a recognized color of Orpington.

What state are you in? Most states waived any kind of health papers for chickens this year due to an antigen shortage. In WI it is such for all shows and swaps. Thus why I'm showing at State despite not being a tested flock.
Okay, that's what I thought haha :) I'm in Massachusetts but would most likely be traveling to the surrounding states for some shows.

Okay, that's what I thought haha :) I'm in Massachusetts but would most likely be traveling to the surrounding states for some shows.
You'll have to Google it then. Something like '(state) pullorum testing 2019' should yield good results.

MA animal health laws as of current are attached. Read carefully.

Attachments

• animal_health_fair_rules_2019.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom