Chicken Screaming in Middle of Night

Ariel90

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2016
Last night, before 3am, I woke up in a huge panic because one of my girls was making the most horrifici screaming noise I have ever heard - not her typical egg laying noise - I thought she was being attacked by something with how horrific it sounded - my husband ran outside and she stopped - my other 2 girls were roosting and unerved - but she was in her nesting box - but then ran out like everything was okay - does anyone have any insight on this weird behavior? This morning she is perfectly fine

Last night, before 3am, I woke up in a huge panic because one of my girls was making the most horrifici screaming noise I have ever heard - not her typical egg laying noise - I thought she was being attacked by something with how horrific it sounded - my husband ran outside and she stopped - my other 2 girls were roosting and unerved - but she was in her nesting box - but then ran out like everything was okay - does anyone have any insight on this weird behavior? This morning she is perfectly fine

Does she maybe egg bound? Are your lights on @night? Just wondering what could be the ruckus that she could see in the dark.

Does she maybe egg bound? Are your lights on @night? Just wondering what could be the ruckus that she could see in the dark.

She just laid an egg later this morning with no problems and we have out back light on at night on our porch. Usually when something spooks them they all re-act and my other girls just stayed roosting during the whole ordeal

If you have a porch light on all night that shines into the coop, the chickens will be able to see things moving around at night.

Not only that, but light shining on the chickens all night will interrupt what should be a good night's sleep and day/night rhythms. Chickens' bodies are regulated by light and dark periods, egg laying, molting, etc. If you could change your light to a motion activated light, instead of being on all night, it would be so much easier on your chickens than constant light. Even if the light is quite a distance from the coop, if the chickens see light, it's going to affect them.

If you have a porch light on all night that shines into the coop, the chickens will be able to see things moving around at night.

Not only that, but light shining on the chickens all night will interrupt what should be a good night's sleep and day/night rhythms. Chickens' bodies are regulated by light and dark periods, egg laying, molting, etc. If you could change your light to a motion activated light, instead of being on all night, it would be so much easier on your chickens than constant light. Even if the light is quite a distance from the coop, if the chickens see light, it's going to affect them.

2x
1f917.png

I agree any little bit of light will get them going my coop is close to 100 feet from the back of my house and when I turn on the back yard light some shines in their window, it's not enough to even go in the coop and do chores at night but it's enough to make them stir and the roosters crow like idiots in the middle of the night until the light goes off

Back
Top Bottom