Chicken Recovery day 6– NEED HELP!! [IMG INCLUDED]

tossedpebble

Hatching
Apr 30, 2022
I’ve always ghosted this forum because of the helpful advice people get often helps me A LOT. However, I am in the serious need of guidance and advice myself now more than ever before. Last Sunday one of our young chicks got severely injured on the back of her head, she fought very hard and she has made it to present day. However late Thursday- early Friday we noticed some swelling on the back of her head. Today it’s led to lack of balance and a lack of pep in her step. The family is torn between “it’s just healing” vs “no it’s actually an infection”

I don’t know what to do from here on out. Please any advice helps!!
B6D57310-55DF-4228-AED9-187CC140C15C.jpeg

We have been keeping her wound clean with iodine and a triple antibiotic (neosporin-like ointment). We make sure she eats and drinks enough and she’s pooping well. This is just our new obstacle that’s making us exponentially worried!

Last edited:
Looks and sounds like an infection. Sometimes your local feed supply store sells antibiotics. Otherwise, see if your vet can call you some in. The infection is probably pressing on her ear drum, making her off balance. The listlessness is due to her body trying to fight off the infection.

Is the swelling over the ear or farther back? Does it feel squishy like air or fluid, or firm? It is hard to tel in the picture if her eye is open and red or if there are bubbles coming out of a closed eye?

Is the swelling over the ear or farther back? Does it feel squishy like air or fluid, or firm? It is hard to tel in the picture if her eye is open and red or if there are bubbles coming out of a closed eye?
Firm. Very firm. It has extended to the ear/back of her head, where the wound starts. I’m attempting to keep her hydrated, I cleaned the area a bit more intensely. I did manage to open her eye before she squirmed out of my grasp but I can definitely see something in there. Pus maybe? I’m not sure since I can’t open her eye again. Is there a way I can push that stuff out?

Looks and sounds like an infection. Sometimes your local feed supply store sells antibiotics. Otherwise, see if your vet can call you some in. The infection is probably pressing on her ear drum, making her off balance. The listlessness is due to her body trying to fight off the infection.
Is there a specific type I should look for/tell them to call in?

Here is a clearer picture

There is a scab there, it’s a very firm area.

Attachments

• 24902E4C-53F8-4453-BF69-AB45B11FF83A.jpeg
    24902E4C-53F8-4453-BF69-AB45B11FF83A.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 4
Update:
I made the choice to send her off to the big green field. She kept getting worse and worse and there was nothing I could really do other than to put her down. I appreciate you all for your support and feedback.

Back
Top Bottom