Chicken Perch

MAT10

Chirping
Aug 25, 2023
Utah
I have (2) 2x4 perches in the enclosed run. One lower & the 2nd one higher. Some of my hens want to use the higher one as thier roost at night instead of going into the coop. It worried me thinking they should all be together (especially during winter) so I removed, replaced, removed, replaced & removed permanently B/C they kept roosting there. 🤦

They really enjoyed it alot so my question is.... Is there any harm in letting them do that?

10 hens & plenty of room for all inside the coop.

They do not NEED to sleep in the coop if you feel the run is predator proof enough for your area.

If the run isn't predator proof or you're just not comfortable with the idea, then you need to assess why they're not using the coop. Photos of the coop inside and out would help, as would far more specific details (i.e. coop measures 10x4 with 10 sq ft of ventilation is more useful info than "big enough").

If the run is predator proof, I would just make sure they have access to the coop. They will most likely decide they like it better in there if it starts pouring.

But, it is good to note (at least in my experience) few things are really predator proof. Raccoons can rip through chicken wire and reach their paws in through gaps to pull chickens apart. So if you have gaps and chickens close to the sides, a raccoon will get them. And weasels can fit through gaps as small as 1/4 inch.

I lost my sweet Bubbles, a young Polish, to a racoon that reached through the fence.
DSC_1372.JPG
:hit

Haven't had any predator problems & the coop/run is all enclosed with covered roof. An open pop door from run to coop & PLENTY ventalation. Don't use lighting at night & NO mites. The girls roost inside coop fine since removing the outer perch. There is one perch about 18" off flooring & they will use it to get to the higher perch. Weird cuz it's actually a little lower than the one inside the coop that's completely enclosed with just a pop door opening. The enclosure is 1/4" hardware cloth & coop dimensions are 4' x 10'. There is ventilation on all four sides PLUS windows that can be opened or closed.

So, if I put the perch back up for their day use, are they okay to roost there at night if they so choose? This particular perch has been off since last summer (trying to encourage/train them to roost inside coop at night)

So, if I put the perch back up for their day use, are they okay to roost there at night if they so choose? This particular perch has been off since last summer (trying to encourage/train them to roost inside coop at night)
Since you feel the set up is predator proof for your area you can let them roost out there if you don't mind it.

Back
Top Bottom