Chicken math - Best utilization of cage space.

Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I keep excess cockerels in cages. I have 3 cages on two levels - upper level has two 30" by 5' cages, bottom has one 30" by 10'. Each cage has 2 cockerels.

Is it better to remove the divider on the upper level and house 3 on each level?

I'm gonna agree with @aart on this one. It really depends on how old/big the cockerels are, whether they've peacefully lived together before going in the cages, and how willing they are to fight. And remember, it could change in a moment. I like to have a spare isolation cage or two available and ready to use any moment for injuries or separation, etc. I always seem to need one for some unexpected reason as I'm rushing out the door to work, and it's a pain to have to set one up last minute.

Thank you both.

I have 10 cockerels in cages, I moved one, he was getting ganged, and carefully chose his mate; they get along. That is my only aggression issue with cockerels isolated in cages, thus far.

I will have a closer look at removing the divider; not horrible but awkward I think.

Back
Top Bottom