Chicken looks like she's been in the ring with a boxer and has a black eye ( color on face around th

mrswolf02

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Lake Placid, Florida
Hello!

I noticed a few days ago that one of my leghorns looks like she got punched in the face and has a black eye. it does not seem to look like it has improved and now looks as tho the dark color is going into the wattle that is on the side her shiner is on. She just started laying about 2 weeks ago. I have 3 leghorns and 3 golden comets and they all live together. Could she be sick? Could it be from falling or getting bopped in the head from something or someone bullying her? There is no bubbles or pus or anything at all coming from the eye and it is bright and open. None of my other girls seem to have anything wrong. The Golden Girls are my first ever chickens and I am still learning as I go....If she is ill i want to make sure to take good care of her!!

I would figure if it was a roo sometimes they get that blue edges being happy with girls. In a hen, I don't know. I don't recall any duskiness around the eye on mine.

ok, im a big worry wort about my babies! just found it very strange that it hasnt really improved since monday when i noticed it. thank you guys!! i'll keep an eye on dorothy and hope it's just a bruise

Hi everybody!

I have a Leghorn hen named Mimi who is the best consistent egg-layer I have.

She's 10 months old and has two 'litter' mate hens.

I discovered 2 days ago that Mimi has these dark rings around both eyes!

I've been everywhere for answers online and that's what brought me here.

At first I thought it was an eye infection maybe from mites but all the pictures I've found only show actual pusy eye infections

Don't know what to do.

She seems fine so far with her feisty self.

I'll keep searching...

Yup, that's exactly how my chickens looked. I think two of them had that. I have no idea what it was, but they lost some of the tiny feathers around the eye and it went away. They seem to be fine since then and it has not recurred. I just wish someone had an answer as to what it was.

Back
Top Bottom