Chicken liver recipe that doesn't require flour or starch?

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
I'm watching my carb/sugar intake and for some reason - wanted chicken livers. I have never eaten chicken livers in their normal form (other than what was in stuffing, etc) and I had a desire. So - I was at the grocery store tonight and I bought some. I'm not pleased that I bought grocery store chicken livers - but all of the local places that sell local meat haven't had any....

I did a search on here for liver recipes and saw some that include frying with flour.

Any other way of making it? Could I just fry it in some oil with fried onions? Broil it? Soy sauce? Garlic? I need some tips!

Thanks!

Ooh - I like bacon and onions! Fry them up at the same time, or would I cook them separately? I don't know how to tell when the liver is done.....

Bacon first, to almost crisp, then the onions until soft, then the livers. You can split one with a fork to see if they are brown all the way through. I am (supposed to be) low carb also. What a yummy treat! Don't fret about the store-bought part. Don't tell anyone, but I have store bought eggs in my fridge.
duc.gif
Girls are on strike. Watch the onions- not too much. They are higher in carbs too, but add lots of flavor. If you want some variation, throw in some garlic, or shallots.

Thank you so much for the information!!! I'm going to make them tomorrow for lunch. We're on store bought eggs right now too. Our girls were on strike for a while and then we got nine eggs the day before yesterday. My boyfriend decided to give 6 to our neighbors who get so happy to eat our eggs.

I love being low carb. I did Atkins for three years and then decided to get off of my diet about a year ago to go with the WW way of eating. Big mistake. If I'm not eating this way, I have no self control. While eating low carb - my bloods are excellent. Some people say that it will make you have bad blood pressure, but not me. And - it helps my iron issues.

I'll let you know how they turn out!!

Good for you! I went low carb this fall and dropped 15 pounds. My doctor prescribed some reading for me. "Good Calories, Bad Calories". It really opened my eyes. Eggs are low carb, and I consider my girls my "life-savers"
clap.gif

My mother's chicken liver pate, served only on special occasions:

7 oz. chicken livers
1 to 2 Tbsp. cooking liquid
1 to 2 Tbsp. butter
Juice of small onion
dash of Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Gently boil the livers in water to cover for 15 minutes. Mash thoroughly with fork (she never had a blender or food processor and I've never tried using one for this recipe.)

To juice an onion, cut in half so the stem or root is in the middle of each piece. Scrape with a spoon in a circular motion, getting as much juice and as little pulp as you can.

Combine ingredients and serve with crackers (or your favorite low carb substitute.)

i just saute mine in a little butter (the real stuff.. not the imitation stuff full of chemicals) with a little Mrs Dash or cajun seasoning (check the seasoning for sugar depending on how much you are cutting sugar out of your diet)

my mother always fried them with flour.. I never could stomach them that way.. lol

Back
Top Bottom