Chicken limits in Shenandoah County VA

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Hey all! I’m hoping someone here might know the answer to this:

I live in zone A-1, which is agricultural. I can’t seem to find any ordinances on flock size for my zone. It says poultry is “permitted by right,” but doesn’t place a limit as to the number of hens (or roosters!) I’m allowed to have. If I have more than 100, then it would be considered an “intensive poultry facility” and requires a bunch of red tape.

I CAN find limits in residential zones, 12 max if on <2 acres, and 24 max if 2 or more. Only one rooster allowed per flock, and no waterfowl, guineas, or peacocks.

I just wanted to double check that I can have as many chickens as I want, just not 100 or more unless I want to deal with getting a bajillion permits.

Perhaps try posting on the VA state thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/virginia.80/page-810

Or perhaps @U_Stormcrow could help you?
Ah! Thank you! I tried to find a va thread through searching but I must have been using the wrong search terms, because I couldn’t find one!!

I did, however, find the answer, for anyone else that may ever need this info. I emailed the zoning office directly. No permit or special considerations required in agricultural zone unless raising over 200 birds! (I had the 100 limit wrong in my OP)

Ah! Thank you! I tried to find a va thread through searching but I must have been using the wrong search terms, because I couldn’t find one!!

I did, however, find the answer, for anyone else that may ever need this info. I emailed the zoning office directly. No permit or special considerations required in agricultural zone unless raising over 200 birds! (I had the 100 limit wrong in my OP)
Glad you found your answer and posted it here for future readers. Finding these kinds of answers can be tricky.

Hello from Rockingham Co.!

Back
Top Bottom