Chicken housing temperature

Jaimes09

Songster
Sep 6, 2021
I have some chickens that have been outside and this morning i woke up and my rooster had 2 black spots on the tip of his comb. It did go away but should i be worried or not? I have a tarp to cover them from the direct wind. I also have 3 chicks about 3-4 months old that are outside. My little hen is the only one im worried about as it seems like she’s still small not much growth.

It sounds like your concern is frostbite?

What are your temperatures? Where are the birds sleeping - you said "outside" but does that mean they're in a coop, in a run, up in a tree?

It sounds like your concern is frostbite?

What are your temperatures? Where are the birds sleeping - you said "outside" but does that mean they're in a coop, in a run, up in a tree?
They have their own coop. Low 33F and high 51F. I posted those pictures as their the best i have now but yeah they’re in a coop if that’s what you could call it

Attachments

• 25845BB8-6CD1-428E-B5BF-1CD7B9C0519A.jpeg
    25845BB8-6CD1-428E-B5BF-1CD7B9C0519A.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 97A7951A-B998-473C-B770-FF802B661B21.jpeg
    97A7951A-B998-473C-B770-FF802B661B21.jpeg
    946.6 KB · Views: 2
Just to make sure I have this right, it's an open air coop (1 or more walls are open)? Or are those photos the run (daytime area) and not the coop (where they spend the night)?

Reason I'm asking is frostbite is a combination of 2 things: cold and moisture. If the chickens are inside a poorly ventilated coop, where moisture can't escape, then they can get frostbite at higher temperatures than chickens that are sitting out in the open (or an open air coop).

If this is an open air set up I would not expect to see frostbite at 33F.

Just to make sure I have this right, it's an open air coop (1 or more walls are open)? Or are those photos the run (daytime area) and not the coop (where they spend the night)?

Reason I'm asking is frostbite is a combination of 2 things: cold and moisture. If the chickens are inside a poorly ventilated coop, where moisture can't escape, then they can get frostbite at higher temperatures than chickens that are sitting out in the open (or an open air coop).

If this is an open air set up I would not expect to see frostbite at 33F.
Yeah it’s opened but at night i put a tarp around each coop to stop the gust of air from hitting them. I do make sure to keep good ventilation

Back
Top Bottom