Chicken Food Tower

Pics
I would like to share with you about my wild flower patch, which is an important element of this idea. To attract more pollinators, I bought some mixed flowers seeds last year, but the performance was bad because, directly sawing them to the ground is almost a gamble, even I did that during rainy day.

This year I thought about the seed bomb idea, so I mixed the seeds with compost first

View attachment 2753041

View attachment 2753042

and applied a 5cm layer directly on the ground
View attachment 2753043
covered with whatever chicken scratched and their poo as an insulation layer (from low temperature in early spring, said March, and birds), also keeps the moisture as possible.

View attachment 2753047
It worked. Compared with what I did last year, this year so many successfully germinated.
View attachment 2753051
And they grow well. The first wave is in fact the Brassica campestris with yellow flowers, those purple flowers are the second wave - Phacelia (phacelia, scorpionweed, heliotrope)
View attachment 2753052

Then I tried few more patches, these two are slower planted, so Brassica campestris are still blossoming when I took the photos.
View attachment 2753061

Now is the third wave flowers coming for the wild flower patches - sun flowers, borage/star flowers, to give them proper space to grow, I pulled all the Brassica campestris (yellow flower ones) and gave them to the chickens for food+fun.

View attachment 2753068
Therefore, I am really excited about the idea to make it vertical :D
Hello love this seed bomb idea, how do you make them please?

This all seems great but I don’t understand how the chickens will be able to munch on the greens at the top??? Don’t see anything growing out the sides……would love to try this and will definitely follow!

Back
Top Bottom