Chicken dying with little bugs all over

DangerOrton

Hatching
May 11, 2024
I came out this morning to find my hen lying on the ground still to this time barely alive and just lying on the ground. There seems to be tiny creatures crawling all over it. I can’t their if they are black or a brownish color because of how small they are. Is it too late to save it? What is happening?

I came out this morning to find my hen lying on the ground still to this time barely alive and just lying on the ground. There seems to be tiny creatures crawling all over it. I can’t their if they are black or a brownish color because of how small they are. Is it too late to save it? What is happening?
Sounds like a mite infestation, I don't know if she'll make it but you can treat the mites with permethrin spray.

Welcome to BYC, sorry your hen is sick. It sounds like she has lice or mites. If you want to try to save her, get some poultry dust and apply it all over her body. Once you do that, try placing her in a box in a warm room 80-90 degrees is ideal (watch for signs of overheating).

I agree it sounds like mites most likely. Poultry dust is probably the easiest to use, put on some gloves and rub it in under her feathers all over her body. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench or any other chicken vitamin boost I'd give her some of that too, to help perk her up as she's probably pretty anemic.

Make sure to also check the rest of your flock, if one bird has mites the rest do too.

Back
Top Bottom