Chicken clothes and boots (for you)

Like gtaus, I can access the feeder and eggs from one side of my coop that faces the gravel lined kitchen garden, so no need for special clothes. When I do need to go inside the chicken area, I wear Duluth Heirloom Gardening Bib Overalls and these Sloggers Chicken Boots my dear friend gave me for my birthday:

IMG_6361.jpg

This ensemble is my daily outfit. I'm constantly out and about my rural 11 acre property, fixin this and doin that, and I actually feel strange wearing "regular" clothing !

I don't get out much ….. :idunno

This is me, to a tee !!! I find myself ploppin down in front of the 'puter with my boots still on, cause I tell myself "I'm goin right back out !!!
That's me pretty much. Always got heavy duty army trousers on; lots of decent depth pockets.
I live in either site boots or leather walking shoes. Always have leather riggers gloves in a pocket.
I have overalls which I wear when doing is planned but often I need to be out there quickly and ready to deal with anything from hawks to irate roosters.

Like all the ideas!

Before I go out to the animal area,
I prepare what I'm wearing, only takes a second. I roll up my sleeves and pant legs, and tie up my hair.

I keep an old, large wraparound apron, a jacket, and a hat on hooks in a special cubby in the mudroom. Wellies go on a rack outside of door. There's an outdoor faucet with rocks to rinse off boots and feets.
In the summer I switch to rubber garden clogs, a thin, longsleeve cardi, and a hairscarf.

It all stays in its own easily cleanable area, away from regular outerwear. It gets its own laundry tub maybe once a week, and the walls get wiped then.

Coming back in, leave the shoes at the door or a quick rinse of the feet, whip off and hang the barnwear, and head to the bathroom to wash hands.

It sounds like a lot of work as I write it, but it's really very quick. Easy enough to do multiple times a day, and my regular outfit stays really clean.

I’m in the suburbs too, and I just wear my jeans out in the run when I’m socializing, and I wear flip flops because it’s a covered run that doesn’t get muddy and I guess you can’t take the Florida out of the girl lol. Plus I can hose them off and bleach them because of the material. I don’t worry about my arms, I just scrub up everything when I come inside and change out of the outside jeans.

That being said, I don’t have young children to consider. But I’ve seen shoe covers that slip over any pair of shoes, and maybe ponchos would be an easy solution. Rain ponchos would be very easy to clean but they can be hot. Cloth or canvas ones might be more breathable. We get empty burlap coffee sacks we could make into DIY ponchos if we cared enough

I wear them EVERYWHERE 😅 I think they’re sloggers (another gal also posted hers, but a different color). They’re so comfy!

Attachments

• 8D8EA038-DC4D-417A-9C12-65721F1F0C05.jpeg
    8D8EA038-DC4D-417A-9C12-65721F1F0C05.jpeg
    612.4 KB · Views: 2
Cute boots!
Once you have Muck Boots (the brand) you won't ever want anything else!!!
Also, shoes and boots worn at the coop need to stay at home, for biosecurity reasons. Bringing a bad disease home to your flock won't be good, and if your birds have something, sharing it with others is bad practice!
Mary

....don't have any pics, but I have my 'farm' pants that I wear around the farm, and typically a waterproof jacket over whatever top I'm wearing. I have many hens that love to jump on me when they see the chance, and often times their feet are yucky! So despite hotter weather, I still wear it just to avoid dirtying my shirt 😂 and of course, rubber boots.

I always wear the same muck boots into the coop. Sometimes real early I could be out there in boxers and muck boots just to open the coop door(i only have 4 neighbors in a 5 mile radius). @K0k0shka Maybe a solution for your arms could be a light windbreaker? Good for most seasons and should stay relatively clean.

Also, love your user name! My friends call me bobooshka because im an old jewish grandma at heart.(kind of odd for a 300lb bearded man but oh well.)

Thanks everybody! I got denim overalls for everybody that will be for chicken visits only, and we all have rubber boots, too. The boots are general in-the-yard boots, for the chickens, the garden, running through the sprinklers, etc.... They don’t go inside the house. We do occasionally wear them out to go for a walk when it’s wet or to jump in puddles. Not to the feed store (I have supplies delivered and don’t plan on actually going to a feed store if I can keep avoiding it), and not near any other farm animals. Do you guys think that’s enough, or do we still need separate boots for the chickens only? The run has a roof so I’m hoping it won’t be muddy, and our boots and the chickens’ feet won’t be too dirty. I haven’t gotten anything for the arms... will just wait and see how climby the chickens are and if that’s even an issue. They loved perching on my arms and head when they were in the brooder, but now that they are in the coop and have more space to jump and perch on other things, they haven’t been going higher than my knees when I sit down.

Also, love your user name! My friends call me bobooshka because im an old jewish grandma at heart.(kind of odd for a 300lb bearded man but oh well.)
:lau That’s hilarious.
My username means “hen”:lol:

Back
Top Bottom