Chicken can't swallow! Help!

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Windsor
1) Leghorn hen, 1 yr old
2) Can't swallow very much, feed is sticking in her mouth and around her beak, she sticks her neck straight up, shakes her head, scratches at her beak, squawks loudly, gullet seems empty or there is little in it, seems that her saliva is clear and thick like slime, not excessive amounts. Leaves beak open slightly.
3) This has happened for the last 2 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Occurred around the time I gave her a bath a few days ago, in weak salt/vinegar water w Dawn.
7) Eats feed, scratch, grass, apple etc as usual, drank from hose yesterday, and I've given her water via dropper
8) How does the poop look? Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Water via dropper, water w a small amount of salt and sugar
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? I intend to treat myself. Bird isn't in excessive distress, but cannot eat as much as normal.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - Free range during the day, locked coop w one other leghorn and one Polish at night. Nights are cool but not cold, bedding is cleaned daily, sawdust horse bedding is used.

What should I do??? I washed the stuck feed down last night, but when she eats it gums up again. I took the food away overnight, and when I fed her this morn, it started again. Why is her saliva so thick? I think that's the main problem.
Also, she laid an egg this morn as usual.

Thank you for any help!!!

Have you checked for gape worm? Swirl a q-tip down her throat like you would get a throat culture at the doctor. Check the q-tip for the presence of reddish, Y-shaped threads. If they are there, she has gape worm which is easily treatable.

Every single symptom points towards gapeworm
sad.png
I'll search for a cure, thank you!

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@ :

Every single symptom points towards gapeworm
sad.png
I'll search for a cure, thank you!

There are basically 3 wormers that will take care of gapeworm; valbazen, ivermectin and safeguard liquid suspension.​

Back
Top Bottom